`Dap' Grad Student Fashions a Trend

Lakhany said his men's clothing line carries its essence in its name: Dap-Rugget.

The name comes from the words "dapper," meaning clean-cut, and "rugged." The line differs from typical brands because some items can transform to fit both the workplace and nightlife.

Dap-Rugget will be featured at 7 p.m. tonight at the Harambee Fashion Show in the Great Hall, along with The Gap, Julian's, Talbots, Blue Sky and Silk Quarters, among others. "Harambee" is Swahili for "all of us together" and will celebrate uniting for a good cause, said Sundiata Rush, a masters of business administration student.

Produced by the Alliance of Minority Business Students, faculty, staff and students of the business school will walk the runway to benefit the Durham Scholars, a minority after-school program held at Kenan-Flagler Business school. Tickets cost $6.

Lakhany became determined to launch the line when he saw a gap in the fashion world that he wanted to fill. With his father in the clothing business, Lakhany envisioned casual-yet-chic attire fit for a range of buyers from college students to young businessmen to 40-somethings.

A mix between Ecko and Banana Republic, Lakhany said Dap-Rugget has created a new fashion niche. "No one else has this concept," he said. "With our line, you have an emotional attachment to it."

The clothes can literally transform after work to appear more laid-back. Lakhany described a dark grey, plaid shirt suitable for work or formal occasions. When happy hour approaches, men can undo the top button to reveal a different-colored taping inside the shirt that Lakhany said instantly gives a rugged appeal.

Lakhany said this eliminates a trip home before hitting the town. This secret element also is hidden in pant legs, which can be rolled up once outside the office.

Lakhany launched the Dap-Rugget line with designer Cedric King. He said most of their funding came from family ties and friends of King.

Dap-Rugget clothes are sold throughout the Northeast in various stores, namely Lim's, a 25-30 store chain with brand-name urban clothing. Lakhany said this strategy should spark the interest of shoppers. "People see it and say, 'Wait, what's that?'" he said.

The line also has spread to small independent stores in Atlanta, adding a grassroots touch, Lakhany said. He is hoping his line will be sold in Belk's by this fall and in Dillard's and Nordstrom department stores later.

Lakhany said Dap-Rugget has gained popularity via celebrity promotions. Former Tribe Called Quest rapper Phife Dawg gave thanks to Dap-Rugget on his newest album, and rapper Ludicris is now on tour sporting the line. Outkast and some Carolina Panthers can be seen wearing Dap-Rugget in XXL, a hip-hop lifestyle magazine.

Lakhany said Dap-Rugget's theme is recurring in everyday life, heightening the line's popularity. "A lot of things in life are dap-rugget," he said. "You go to work at an office, you're dap. But then you go home, kick it with your friends, you're rugget."

He said this is the reason celebrities are willing to work with the brand. "They say we're the next Hilfiger," he said. "It's really good to hear that kind of feedback from people who know what they're talking about."

But Lakhany also gets positive feedback from friends. Dap-Rugget supporter Ron Lovelace said Lakhany's experience in the clothing industry and his business know-how will take him far. "Because of the hard work he's put in, the company has a lot of upside potential, and I think it can do really well," he said.

Clothes labeled "Dap-Rugget" are priced relative to brands like Polo at $40-60 a shirt. But Lakhany said the value of his brand is incomparable.

"We're selling the lifestyle more than anything."

The Features Editor can be reached at features@unc.edu.