Early Lead Lifts VCU Past Tar Heels

RICHMOND, Va. -- Virginia Commonwealth handed North Carolina a 10-2 baseball loss Wednesday evening at The Diamond in Richmond, Va.

The Tar Heels fall to 19-14, while the Rams improve to 25-6.

VCU jumped on North Carolina early, getting three runs in the first and four more in the second in the eight-run victory. Scott Manshack (1-3) gave up three runs on two hits and walked two without recording an out in the first inning for the loss.

Manshack was relieved by freshman Scott Senatore, who pitched 1 2/3 innings, gave up four runs and two hits. Senatore got the Tar Heels out of their first-inning jam by getting a ground-ball out.

Unfortunately for Senatore, the Tar Heels' woes continued in the second inning, as the Rams tagged him for two unearned runs. A throwing error allowed Chris Gerrity to score, while leaving two runners on the base path. Jason King relieved Senatore three batters later and pitched three innings for the Tar Heels. He gave up five hits and two runs while striking out two VCU batters.

Bo Dickerson and Michael Gross also pitched in relief for the Tar Heels. Dickerson hurled 1 1/3 innings, allowing one run on three walks. Gross pitched the last two innings for the Tar Heels and gave up two hits and two walks while striking out one.

Virginia Commonwealth led 9-0 before North Carolina got its only two runs of the game in the sixth.

Second baseman Chris Maples grounded out to score first baseman Jeremy Cleveland, while catcher Ryan Blake walked later in the inning to score left fielder Sean Farrell.

Farrell (2-for-5) and Cleveland (3-for-5) both had multi-hit games, while Chad Prosser, Ron Braun and Maple also recorded hits for North Carolina.

UNC center fielder Adam Greenberg walked three times and stole his 18th base of the year. Greenberg has now stolen a base in three straight games.

Virginia Commonwealth's Bryan Gillespie (3-for-4, 2 runs, 2 RBI) and Daniel Lopaze (2-for-2, 2 RBI) had big nights at the plate for the Rams, while Joshua Arteaga knocked in a team-high three RBI for VCU.

Rams' Bryan Prendergast (2-0) gave up both UNC runs on six hits in 5 2/3 innings for his second win of the season.

Chad Baumann and Davy Martin each worked 1 2/3 innings in relief.

North Carolina returns to ACC action this weekend with three games against Maryland.

The Terrapins host the Tar Heels at 3 p.m. Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.