Tailbacks Shine in Spring Game

The teams didn't matchup Blue vs. White. The squads didn't even keep the same personnel. Defenders scored points for everything from breaking up passes to causing three-and-outs. Timekeepers mistakenly let the clock run throughout the first quarter, causing the second quarter to be lengthened by three minutes.

But all things considered the players seemed to know what was going on at field level as the "Carolina" squad toppled the "Tar Heels" 56-24.

Without Ronald Curry and running back Brandon Russell on the field, the biggest surprises came from tailbacks.

Willie Parker, who snagged the starting job from Russell for last year's final three games, ran for 119 yards and a touchdown on 14 carries. In 2000, UNC's ineffective ground game boasted just one 100-yard performance from a running back -- Parker had 158 against Maryland.

"He can really hit it to the outside," UNC coach John Bunting said. "Every once in a while he wants to go to the outside all the time. He's got great speed, and he'll break some big ones for us."

Meanwhile, Andre Williams impressed the crowd as well, carrying the ball 15 times for 88 yards.

North Carolina seems to be right back where it left off last season -- uncertain about who should be its No. 1 tailback.

"That's how it's going to be throughout because I bring one side of the game to the table, and (Williams) brings another type of game to the table," Parker said. "I think that's what we need. He's more physical than me. I bring finesse to the game."

Despite questions as to who will be the man in the backfield come August, Bunting feels confident that the running game won't be a question mark in 2001.

"There's no doubt in my mind we're going to be able to run the ball," the first-year head coach said. "Those guys are good. You've just got to make the commitment to do it, and that's what we've done this spring, and it shows."

Much of the backs' success Saturday could be attributed to offensive lines that created holes and consistently gave their quarterbacks ample time in the pocket.

"They're the most doubted squad on the team, the offensive line," said junior wideout Bosley Allen, who caught five passes for 81 yards and a touchdown. "But they hold their own."

Junior Luke Huard and redshirt freshmen Darian Durant and Aaron Leak each tossed touchdowns and threw for a combined 321 yards.

The inexperienced QBs struggled to manage the play clock effectively, but still had encouraging showings to indicate that all hope would not be lost should Curry go down with an injury.

Of course it helps to have Allen and company to throw to.

"He's a playmaker," Bunting said. "He really is. We'll find different ways to get the ball into his hands. He's a heck of a runner after the catch."

Senior Kory Bailey hauled in three balls for 76 yards and a touchdown while junior Sam Aiken and senior Danny Davis each caught a pair of passes for at least 40 yards.

Said Bunting, "I think you see that we're willing to be aggressive."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.