Palm Ready to Start Second Term as Dean

Risa Palm, Dean of the college since 1997, was appointed to a second term June 19 when a new five-year contract was approved by the Office of the Provost and the UNC Board of Governors.

Provost Robert Shelton said he was glad to see Palm's reappointment.

"I have had many meetings with Dean Palm, and I am impressed by the way she has organized the college," Shelton said.

"I think she's been very effective in articulating the college's strengths to people outside of the University - she's a very strong spokesperson for the college." Palm said she has several ongoing goals for the next five years, including planning for raising $300 million in private funds as part of the University's new capital campaign.

"The campaign hopes to bring several university programs national and international top recognition," Palm said.

She also said raising funds for international programs is among her top priorities. "It is really important to me to try and provide more money for study abroad programs and expand the number of students to go abroad," she said.

Palm said her administration will continue to revise the undergraduate curriculum and the academic advising program. She said she wants to look into the next decade by asking what it means to be an educated person.

During her first term at UNC, Palm began to modernize the administrative structure of the college, the largest and oldest academic unit at UNC.

Palm said she has tried to look at the undergraduate experience and implement programs that are personal and friendly to students throughout her first term. In collaboration with several other schools, Palm has taken on several interdisciplinary science projects, including plans for a new genetics department and genomics initiative at the University.

She said one of her greatest achievements in the last five years was her part in the creation of the First Year Seminar Program, which provides freshmen the opportunity to interact with top University faculty in special interdisciplinary seminars.

Before coming to UNC, Palm, who received a Ph.D. in geography from the University of Minnesota, served for six years as Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Oregon.

Natalie Harrison can be reached at nharriso@email.unc.edu.