Club Gets Medieval At Dinner

The Carolina Association for Medieval Studies organized the seven-course feast for the University community. Chefs from Durham's Four Square Restaurant served more than 20 guests authentic medieval meals.

As guests strolled in, servers greeted them with rose water -- a substitute for napkins -- leaving a sweet fragrance on their hands before and during the meal.

CAMS, a student organization seeking to promote the study of medieval history, brought together people of different backgrounds who were curious about live in the Middle Ages. This is the association's second year and the feast was the first of its kind.

The menu was based on recipes from France, Italy and England, and reflected a typical meal for the ruling classes in the Middle Ages, not the usual fare for the average person.

Chef Benjamin Farrow said the feast was organized in part to dispel misconceptions that medieval cooks tried to cover the stench of rancid meats with spices and repeated boilings.

"We did a lot of research into the cultural patterns of dining in the Middle Ages," Farrow said. "We paid attention to the order of things served. Medieval food was hardly dull; it's not vulgar."

Served on hard, flattened bread called "trenchers," and eaten with wooden spoons, the meal included acorn squash and thick almond milk soup for "potage," the first course of the feast. Almond milk, a milk substitute that could be used on the meatless fast days of the calendar, was a vital ingredient in many medieval recipes.

"Potage" was followed by "roast," which included roast parsley-studded lamb shoulder with pink garlic sauce, chicken with lemon and fennel and sauteed mushrooms with spices. Medieval diners desired visual flair in their dishes, and the pink garlic sauce was lovely.

Another course, the "entremets," gave chefs an opportunity to show off before the diners. At Sunday's feast, chefs clapped their hands and walked around the tables as they carried in dishes of meat in aspic, rainbow trout blanc mengier parti, herbed chard and goat cheese tart.

Guests found the feast educational as well as fun.

"I think (the food) is very beautifully prepared and I think they tried to make it very authentic," said English graduate student Alice Espinosa during the feast.

Liza Fischbeck, a priest at the Church of the Holy Family in Chapel Hill, who said an opening prayer in Latin, said she enjoyed the feast.

"The food has been great," Fischbeck said. "I really like all the different flavors. In the future, I would really be interested in attending (CAMS) activities."

CAMS provides a variety of services to medievalists at the University, including lectures, workshops, discussion groups, publications and reading groups in medieval languages.

Ama Boaten can be reached

at boaten6@hotmail.com.