LGBT Resource Center Will Provide Needed Information and Services

The hot topic these days seems to be queer issues and how they relate to this University, however, I'm not too sure we all have the right facts.

The needs for an Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Resource Center are far deeper than recognition and campus awareness.

The truth of the matter is that the resource center would provide support for the LGBT community by providing information and counseling services.

Students dealing with sexual orientation issues on this campus have gone so far as to threaten suicide to try to deal with those problems. These students try to reach out, but the only thing in place is a campus organization.QNC cannot be expected to deal with problems like this on a regular basis, as in the past. The University has a responsibility to all students to ensure safety both externally and internally posed so that responsibility doesn't fall into the hands of a student organization. The reason for an LGBT Center is to address those problems and provide active support for those students.

A resource center on this campus wouldn't just be for LGBT students; it would provide information and programs to educate the campus on LGBT issues in much the same way as the Black Cultural Center. There are students here at Carolina meeting their first "out" queer person on this campus. In reality, UNC is one of the last major institutions to implement such a resource center, and yes, some of the most "tolerant" universities in California and other states already have them. UNC-Chapel Hill is a public institution and therefore has a responsibility to provide equal access to education for all students whether that is the addition of a BCC, the Counseling and Psychological Services, or even an LGBT Resource Center ... but it all starts with institutionalized change.

Douglas Bynum
Student Government Co-Director of Minority Affairs
Sophomore, Dramatic Art