Police Begin Inquiry Into Alleged Bomb

The SBI is analyzing a device detonated on campus yesterday, while UNC police follow up on several leads in the case.

University Police Chief Derek Poarch said the remnants of the device, which was broken into several parts by State Bureau of Investigation bomb squad officials, were turned over to the SBI on Tuesday morning.

"We delivered it to SBI labs this morning for analysis," he said.

Poarch did not provide a time frame for when the analysis might be completed. But he said University police are continuing to pursue an investigation on campus.

"We received several leads over last night, and today that we're actively following," Poarch said.

The device was reported to University police at about 11 a.m. Monday after a University employee spotted it lying in Cameron Avenue near Davie Hall. Cameron Avenue was closed for several hours Monday while the SBI removed the object.

The alleged bomb had no note attached to it, and no threat had been reported prior to the object's discovery.

Two other bomb-related incidents also occurred around the state within 24 hours of the incident on campus, although both used different tactics.

A bomb threat was received at the Legislative Building in Raleigh on Monday night, interrupting the House's legislative session. SBI agents searched the building and did not find any type of explosive device.

A second incident occurred Tuesday morning in Franklin County at the Sprint Administration Building, where one employee was injured when a pipe-like item exploded in his hand. A second explosive device was found by the SBI bomb squad about 20 feet away.

Poarch declined to comment on any aspect of the investigation, including whether the three incidents might be related.

University police also are actively working to keep the campus community informed of the situation and potential danger. Members of the Department of Public Safety sent out an e-mail to all students Monday night, informing them of the day's events and warning them to stay alert.

Poarch said the e-mail was sent out as quickly as possible to inform students.

"It was a part of our normal emergency warning procedure," he said. "Faculty and staff also receive messages through our human resources facilitators, so everyone should be covered."

And Poarch said he hopes students will heed the e-mail's message.

University police have encouraged anyone with information about Monday's incident to contact police headquarters at 962-8100.