She's Back: Teasley Returns to Tar Heels

Three basketball players were released from the team because they did not meet physical requirements.

By Kelly Lusk

Assistant Sports Editor

Last year was supposed to be different for the North Carolina women's basketball team.

After finishing 20-13 and reaching the Sweet Sixteen in the 2000 NCAA Tournament, the Tar Heels could envision even better things during the senior seasons of their two stars, guard Nikki Teasley and forward LaQuanda Barksdale. But when Teasley, who was named MVP at the 2000 ACC Tournament, opted to sit out last season for personal reasons, UNC's dreams fell apart at the seams. The team struggled without her, and even with Barksdale's leadership and post moves, UNC was eliminated in the ACC Tournament quarterfinals and ended its dismal season without an invite to the Big Dance.

But this season, Teasley is back - and according to Coach Sylvia Hatchell, she's better than ever.

"She's more mature and more disciplined now," Hatchell said. "We're excited to have her back."

This is not the first time the Tar Heels have depended on Teasley to spark the team. She took a seven-game leave of absence in January of 2000 and the Tar Heels won only once without her.

But as soon as Teasley returned to the court, she sparked UNC to claim eight of its last 10 games. She averaged 14.6 points per game and led the team in assists, averaging 6.2 in her junior season.

Hatchell hopes to capitalize on Teasley's offensive prowess by possibly moving her to the wing this season.

"Nikki is ready to lead the team and be a premiere guard -- not only in the ACC, but in the country," Hatchell said.

In the shadow of Teasley's much anticipated return is the loss of three Tar Heel veterans. LaShonda Allen, Joy Hairston and Cherie Lea will not return.

Allen, a 6-foot-5 center, will remain on scholarship but had to give up playing because of chronic knee problems. Hairston failed to attend postseason workouts and did not meet conditioning requirements. Lea faced the same problem when she also failed conditioning tests, and their scholarships were not renewed.

"I wish they would have made it," Hatchell said. "But every team that is on our level has standards."

She said, "It takes a lot of discipline to be able to play in the ACC."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.