UVa. Graduate Groh Returns to Guide Cavs

Groh, who graduated in Charlottesville in 1967 after a career at UVa. at defensive end, moves from the AFC East sidelines to ACC pastures.

In the Cavaliers, Groh inherits a 6-6 squad that must replace key offensive and defensive losses.

"We have an adage that `think players first, then plays,'" Groh said. "So whatever the particular skills of the players are and how quickly they pick things up will determine how fast we can move forward."

The Cavaliers must move forward from last season, returning only 11 starters.

Virginia's most glaring losses are at quarterback and wide receiver, with Dan Ellis' graduation and four of the top five receivers gone from 2000.

Sophomores Matt Schaub and Bryson Spinner are expected to battle for the top spot under center.

At receiver, only starter Billy McMullen returns from a group that collectively raked in 1,053 yards last season.

But despite the offensive losses, senior running back Antwoine Womack, a key cog to the Cavalier engine, is back and looking to add to his 1,028 yards on the ground in 2000.

Womack is confident that a veteran offensive line will help a diverse offensive system put points on the board.

"Our offense is very versatile," Womack said. "We've got an experienced line, so we can throw the ball on first down (or) halfback pass on first down. So the sky's the limit in what we can do."

On defense, all four starters return on the defensive line, but the Cavaliers must find replacements for their entire linebacker core.

Heading that defensive line is senior Ljubomir Stamenich, a two-year starter at end who made a career-high 44 tackles a year ago.

Stamenich must now help mentor a young backfield for ACC competition.

"I think we have a lot of real good athletes in the defensive backfield, a lot of young guys that can really step up," Stamenich said.

Virginia's home schedule features seven home games, including Florida State and Penn State.

Their November includes three contests at Scott Stadium, including a Nov. 17 finale against rival Virginia Tech.

The Cavaliers will be tested from the get go, opening Aug. 25 at Wisconsin.

"If we go out there at Wisconsin and show our offense off it's going to be a long season for our opponents," Womack said.