Men's Soccer Falls on Road to Saint Louis

Saint Louis (3-0) got the game-winner with a minute left in the contest, taking advantage of a defensive breakdown by UNC (3-1) and beating Tar Heel goalkeeper Michael Ueltschey in a one-on-one battle to the right of the net.

Junior Matt Crawford scored UNC's lone goal of the match off an assist by freshman Marcus Storey. The Tar Heels outshot the Billikens 8-7 on the day.

With the win, the Billikens improved to 3-0 against Carolina all time, including earlier wins in 1991 and 1994.

On Friday, sophomore midfielder Sean McGinty tallied the game-winning goal in the 47th minute to lead UNC past Cincinnati.

Storey scored UNC's first goal and was credited with the assist on McGinty's score.

Volleyball Goes 1-2 in California

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- The North Carolina volleyball team lost a five-game match to Santa Clara in the final match of the Santa Clara Invitational Sunday afternoon. On Saturday, the Tar Heels (4-3) lost to No. 13 UC-Santa Barbara before beating Creighton later in the day.

Santa Clara topped UNC 30-24,

27-30, 22-30, 30-24, 15-6. Outside hitter Laura Greene had a double-double for the Tar Heels, recording 16 kills and 13 digs. Outside hitter Nicole Reis led UNC in kills with 19.

The Broncos were led by Jami Bari, who totaled 18 kills and 14 digs, and Becky Potter, who had 15 kills and 12 digs.

UNC opened the tournament by losing to UC-Santa Barbara 30-19, 30-15, 30-21. Greene led the Tar Heels with 13 kills.

Reis paced North Carolina's win against Creighton, tallying 29 kills in a 20-30, 30-26, 31-29, 30-21 victory.

Field Hocky Takes Tourney Title

PHILADELPHIA -- North Carolina's field hockey team claimed the Temple Invitational championship Sunday for the ninth consecutive year, beating the host Owls 4-1.

UNC also defeated No. 3 Michigan 2-1 on Saturday to reach the title game.

Freshman Kelsey Keeran scored two goals for UNC, and Kerry Falgowski scored North Carolina's final goal with 3:03 to play on an assist by Carey Fetting-Smith.

In Saturday's win against Michigan, senior Abby Martin and freshman Charlotte Plugge scored for UNC.

With a 5-0 record, the Tar Heels return to Chapel Hill to prepare for next weekend's games against Old Dominion and Virginia at Francis E. Henry Stadium.

Men's Golf Team Begins Fall Season

JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. -- North Carolina's men's golf team started its fall season Saturday and stand in thirteenth place after the first two rounds of play at the Ridges Intercollegiate Golf Tournament.

Texas Christian leads the field of 15 teams after two rounds, ending the day with a 22-under 554.

North Carolina junior Ramon Bescansa is tied for 12th place after a 36-hole score of 3-under 141.

Also for the Tar Heels, sophomore Dustin Bray is tied for 28th place with a one-over-145.