Tar Heels Overpower Charlotte

Outside hitters Nicole Reis and Lauren Greene nailed 16 and 13 kills, respectively, to ignite UNC's offense.

But Tuesday at Carmichael Auditorium, "thunder and thunder" were in effect as North Carolina whipped Charlotte 3-0 (30-19, 30-20, 30-22).

Sophomore Nicole Reis and junior Laura Greene ripped 16 and 13 kills, respectively, through the 49er defense, sending echoes throughout the gym.

The first game was Reis' to dominate, as she strung together three successive kills to give her team a 28-19 lead on the way to the 30-19 win.

"I was confident," Reis said. "I wanted the ball."

"(Reis) has a presence out there," UNC coach Joe Sagula said. "She attacks the ball, and she is a real intimidator."

In the second game, Greene took her turn. With the score 12-5, her spike from UNC's left sideline was untouched as it landed on the opposite side of the court and net. The rocket brought a roar from the crowd and led to the 30-20 win.

"Laura and I are a great team," Reis said "When she's not good, I'm good, and when I'm not good, she's good."

And when they are both on? "We're unstoppable," Reis said.

In the third game, UNC showed its depth.

Freshman Caroline deRoeck spiked two unblockable bullets into the Charlotte defense and added a block.

And she was just part of a trio of freshmen that impacted the game.

Reserve Jayme Mitchell, 7 inches shorter than anyone on the team at 5-foot-1, had two digs, exciting the Tar Heel bench.

Starter Molly Pyles affected the game, as well, with vocal leadership and versatile play.

"(Pyles) is a great player," Sagula said. "She had some nice defensive plays, blocks and serves tonight."

Even with four or five reserves playing in the third game, UNC's performance didn't drop off at all in the 30-22 win.

"That gives us a good dilemma," Sagula said. "We have a lot of people who can play."

With a game against undefeated Duke on the schedule this weekend, Sagula likes what he sees.

"I was impressed with the Carolina volleyball team tonight," he said. "We handled Charlotte, which is a pretty good team. That's important to know heading into this weekend."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.