Field Hockey's Defense Creates Scoring Chances

The Tar Heels, who lacked intensity Wednesday in their 2-0 nonconference loss to Wake Forest, entered their weekend series against Duke and Richmond looking to regain production on the offensive side of the ball.

Mission accomplished.

Second-ranked UNC had its way offensively in weekend romps, defeating No. 10 Duke 5-0 and Richmond 8-0.

"I think (the team) understands that they didn't play their best," UNC coach Karen Shelton said of the Wake Forest loss. "I don't think it was indicative of the type of team that we are."

The Tar Heels emerged as a different type of team against the Spiders, setting up six penalty corners and scoring three goals by intermission.

Seniors Carrie Lingo, Abby Martin and Abbey Woolley helped set up the offense with their passing and defense.

Lingo and Martin were recently switched to the backfield to provide defensive experience, while Woolley was moved from forward to midfield.

"Having Carrie (Lingo) playing on the right side -- that being a really attacking position -- it's definitely effective," UNC forward Carey Fetting-Smith said. "When we come up with the ball in the back and are able to attack from our right hand side, that is really effective and has been for Carrie's talent."

The Tar Heels finished the day with 11 penalty corners, two of which resulted in scoring blasts by Martin, who now stands at eighth on the UNC's all-time goal scorers list.

"You do generate attack by playing great defense," Shelton said. "So we are going to start this way until it proves to be unsuccessful."

Saturday against the Blue Devils, both the veterans and freshmen punched home goals for UNC.

Karey Falgowski came off the bench to score two goals, while starting freshman forward Kelsey Keeran added another.

For the weekend, UNC's frosh class accounted for six goals and three assists.

"I knew that they were going to be strong freshmen," Shelton said. "I'm pleased with them. I think that they are working hard and learning every day."

The learning process will be tested Saturday in Winston-Salem, when UNC takes on Wake.

"I just have a good feeling about this group," Shelton said. "I think that they feel like they underachieved last time they played (Wake Forest). I think we have a chance to redeem ourselves."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.