Moeser: UNC Gaining On Goals Set Last Year

In the past year, those priorities have evolved, especially in light of the tragic events of Sept. 11, but Moeser said the University's path is concrete and that he has been working to achieve his goals.

"We've set a course, and we've stuck to it," he said. "We have worked on our goals all year long, and we are very pleased with what we accomplished."

In last year's University Day speech, Moeser said his priorities were set in light of the confidence and calm that marked the time. "We are not building from scratch ... or steering through crisis," Moeser said last year. Although the world has changed, Moeser said he has continued to pursue his goals.

One of Moeser's major priorities set forth last year was to extend the University's study abroad program and to create more globally aware students.

He said efforts have been strong in that area in the past year but that the events of Sept. 11 underscored the need to create students with a global perspective. "These events certainly focus us outwardly to think about the world," he said.

Moeser also said that by developing global awareness in students, he hopes to help the University stand as a model for the state, the nation and the world.

"This University will continue to lead in the 21st century -- leading the discussion of the critical, social and ethical issues that mark our time," he said in his speech.

Moeser said the Sept. 11 events made his efforts since he took office -- including encouraging the expression of diverse viewpoints and connecting to the outside world through service -- more apparent. "These events have given us the opportunity to demonstrate what we mean, to take action to protect academic freedom and free speech," he said.

Another crucial priority for Moeser last year was the development of science and technology. Tony Waldrop, vice chancellor for research and graduate studies, said he has seen firm evidence of that commitment from Moeser in the last year.

He said he has been particularly impressed with Moeser's efforts to extend research through alliances with other universities. "I would definitely give us an A-plus in that category," he said. "It was a wonderful year in terms of research."

The Carolina Computing Initiative, a project Moeser inherited from late Chancellor Michael Hooker, also has progressed under Moeser's guidance, although officials say budget cuts have hurt UNC's ability to deploy technology.

Finally, Moeser said his single greatest goal was to increase the University's fund-raising efforts. The Carolina First campaign, a $1.5 billion, three-year effort, was set to begin its public phase with an announcement today. But the public phase launch was delayed because of the political and economic state of the world.

Moeser said his commitment to fund raising is still strong, with $621 million raised so far, putting the campaign ahead of schedule. "I still think it's the most important thing we will do this decade."

Speed Hallman, director of development communication, also said he has been impressed with the progress in the last year. "Our priorities haven't changed. We're still raising funds to support faculty, students and programs," he said.

Moeser said that by working toward these tasks, he hoped to see UNC reach the pinnacle of public universities. And Provost Robert Shelton said nothing in the last year has changed that pursuit.

"I don't think the terrorist attacks ... in any way detract from our goal of being the best public university and the way we pursue it," he said. "We're going to do things differently, but it doesn't force us to change our goals."