Moeser Solicits Speaker, Retains Name for Now

Although he declined to provide any information about the candidate, Senior Class President Ben Singer said Chancellor James Moeser has sent an invitation to one of seven finalists named by the committee.

"The person we are looking at definitely embodies what we want in a speaker," Singer said. "He is actually going to be a great speaker if he accepts."

The seven names were chosen by the committee, which consists of Singer, Student Body President Justin Young, Graduate and Professional Student Federation President Mikisha Brown, Senior Class Vice President Byron Wilson and five faculty members.

Singer said the committee tried to find choices that would be well-known to students and would be able to deliver a high-quality address.

"Most of the names on the list are recognizable -- what we're looking at is someone who can deliver a great speech," Singer said.

To reach this point in the process, Singer said everyone on the committee voted for their top three choices.

Young said the process was complicated this year after entertainer Bill Cosby declined an invitation to speak, citing schedule conflicts.

"The list was somewhat jumbled after all the controversy," Young said. "Cosby was the initial person, then we went back to the drawing board and made up a supplementary list."

From that list, 20 candidates were chosen, and the list then was narrowed to the seven presented to the chancellor, who extends formal invitations at his discretion.

"We rank our recommendations -- a lot of times he goes with that, sometimes he doesn't," Singer said.

Young said the seven finalists would all be good choices, although he also declined to comment on any specifics.

"It's a pretty good mix -- all of them are quality people," he said. "We try to stay away from politicians -- we don't want to stray into the political realm or look biased."

"For the most part, you will know who they are."

Young did confirm South African novelist Nadine Gordimer, who won the Nobel Prize in literature in 1991, was one of the finalists.

But he said Gordimer probably was the least famous name on the final list.

"Nadine Gordimer is the one least recognizable -- the rest of the names on the list are definitely recognizable, or, if you don't know who they are, you could find out easily," he said.

Singer said the committee has finished its work and now is just waiting to hear the results of the chancellor's decision. "At this point, the ball is in the chancellor's court," he said. "When he tells me what's going on, I will tell the seniors."