Wideouts' Improvement Help UNC

But after very little production in losses to Oklahoma, Maryland and Texas, UNC's wide receivers had little evidence to back up Bailey's claims.

"We weren't getting a lot of opportunities to make big plays," Bailey said Saturday after UNC topped Duke 52-17. "But when we did, we weren't really getting it done."

But on Sept. 22 against Florida State, Sam Aiken's acrobatic first quarter touchdown during the Tar Heels' 41-9 was the beginning of the receivers' resurgence.

After catching just two touchdown passes in their first three losses, North Carolina's receivers have caught 22 touchdown passes in their last eight games, including 18 by the starting trio of Aiken, Bailey and Bosley Allen.

Saturday was the latest installment in the Tar Heels' receivers increased production. The three combined for four touchdowns and 296 yards on 16 catches in UNC's dismantling of Duke.

Aiken led the way, recording his second consecutive 100-yard receiving game. The junior caught seven passes for a career-high 156 yards and two touchdowns, including a 72-yard score in the first quarter.

North Carolina coach John Bunting said Aiken's play has been instrumental in providing the spark needed for the wide receivers to turn around their play.

"Sam is the guy that started all this, way back when against Florida State," Bunting said. "He's the one who got the wide receivers going."

Much of the wide receivers' recent success -- Aiken's, in particular -- is in large part because of the screen pass. Bailey said the screen enables Aiken to use his speed and moves to better develop a play.

"Right now, he has a swagger about him," Bailey said. "He's going out there and believing in himself and knowing he can make those plays."

UNC quarterback Darian Durant said strength and conditioning coach Jeff Connors' offseason program has given Aiken the ability to do things he couldn't do before.

"There's no way if Sam would've caught those balls last year that he would be doing the things he's doing now," Durant said.

Aiken agreed with his teammate, saying Connors' program is a big reason for his success this season. Aiken leads the Tar Heels with 42 catches for 738 yards and eight touchdowns.

"It's made me faster, quicker and made me react to the ball more quickly, especially if the ball's in the air," Aiken said. "It's helped me out a lot."

But as much as the wide receivers have improved since the Oklahoma game, they realize much work is left to be done.

A Dec. 1 date against Southern Methodist is all that stands between North Carolina and a bowl game, and Bailey said the receivers have to continue to produce to make sure UNC is bowl-bound.

"We took care of business today, and two weeks from now we're going to have to play a tough game and take care of business then, too," Bailey said Saturday. "And then we'll see what happens."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.