Curry, Peppers Bid Kenan Farewell

QB Ronald Curry completed 8 of 14 passes for 116 yards and one touchdown to lead UNC in his last home game.

Curry did not post tremendous numbers in his last home game, completing 8 of 14 passes for 116 yards with a touchdown and an interception.

But after spending most of his time on the field eluding Mustang tacklers, Curry was still the talk of the opposing sideline.

"Michael Vick -- that's kind of who he reminds you of," said SMU linebacker Vic Viloria. "Our defense is known for our quickness and our speed, but it's tough to stop a guy like that."

Peppers, who will declare for April's NFL Draft, had a more notable final game. He recorded five tackles -- one for loss -- and sacked Mustang quarterback David Page on the game's last play.

The sack gave him 9.5 on the season and 30.5 for his career. Because statistics from bowl games do not count toward single-season or career totals, Peppers will end his UNC career two shy of the team's career mark set by Greg Ellis from 1994-97.

Still, Peppers is not without his accolades. He was named the Chevrolet Defensive Player of the Year on Saturday at halftime of the Big 12 Championship game and a finalist for the Lombardi Award, which will be presented Wednesday.

Cavan's Last Stand

Experiencing a finale of a different sort was Mike Cavan, who officially became ex-coach of SMU after Saturday's game.

After the Mustangs went 3-6 in their first nine games, Cavan was given the news Nov. 19 that he would be released at the end of the season.

Despite his own lame-duck status, Cavan could not find any fault in his team's effort against the Tar Heels.

"Our kids fought them as hard as they could fight them," Cavan said. "They've got great players at every position."

After the game, Cavan seemed intent on getting on with his life, starting with an abbreviated press conference that concluded with an apparent shot at Jim Copeland, SMU's athletic director.

Said Cavan: "In the words of our illustrious leader, he's seen enough, I've had enough. How's that hit you?"

Peach Pits

History is on UNC's side heading into its 24th bowl game. The Tar Heels face an SEC team in the Peach Bowl on New Year's Eve.

The Tar Heels are 9-4 in their last 13 postseason games and have won four straight dating back to 1995, when the team downed Arkansas 20-10 in the Carquest Bowl. In addition, UNC was victorious in its last Peach Bowl appearance, defeating Mississippi State 21-17 following its 1992 season.

John Bunting joins former UNC coach Carl Torbush as the only coaches in school history to lead their teams to bowl games in their first season as head coach.

Torbush's Tar Heels were victorious in the 1998 Las Vegas Bowl, beating San Diego State 20-13.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.