Kluegel Selected as Hermann Finalist

North Carolina's Jena Kluegel, Santa Clara's Aly Wagner, Florida's Abby Wambach and Penn State's Christie Welsh were the top four players receiving votes out of the 15 Hermann Trophy candidates.

The trophy will be presented by Robert R. Hermann at the winning player's school on Dec. 4.

Kluegel, a senior midfielder from Mahtomedi, Minn., is third on the team in scoring, with eight goals and eight assists for 24 points. She has helped North Carolina to a perfect 23-0 record and a place in the College Cup semifinals.

Three of the four finalists are still active in the NCAA Tournament. Kluegel and the Tar Heels take on Portland in a semifinal on Friday.

Baseball Announces Signing Class

North Carolina baseball coach Mike Fox has announced a 10-player recruiting class, including eight North Carolinians, for the 2003 season. The group includes an even mix of five pitchers and five position players.

"We are very excited about our recruiting class," Fox said.

"These 10 young men, we feel, meet our needs, and they are a solid group academically, as well. It was important for us to sign some left-handed hitting and pitching, and we were able to do that."

Recruit Matt Danford, a right-hander from Raleigh, was a three-time All-State pick and was rated among Baseball America's Top 100 high school prospects.

UNC opens the 2002 season Feb. 15-17 in Chapel Hill with a three-game series against Seton Hall.

The Tar Heels return seven starters from last year's team, which won five of its last six regular-season games and finished 31-26.

Leading the way in 2002 will be 2001 first-team All-ACC second baseman Russ Adams, 2000 ACC Rookie of the Year Adam Greenberg and junior right-handed pitcher Scott Autrey.