Cavs Sweep in Swimming Dual Meet

The Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving teams topped UNC in an important ACC clash.

The scene following Greenwood's win in the 200-yard individual medley repeated itself often Saturday. Virginia's men's and women's swimming and diving teams defeated North Carolina at Koury Natatorium in a meet that UNC coach Frank Comfort described as "without a doubt" the most important dual meet of the season.

"There was a lot of emotion today," Comfort said.

The No. 12 Virginia men (6-1, 4-0 in the ACC) beat the 21st-ranked Tar Heels (3-4, 1-2) 186-111. In the women's meet, the 14th-ranked Cavs (7-0, 4-0) upset No. 12 UNC (5-2, 2-1) 156-144.

Comfort was so impressed with the Cavalier men that he described them as one of the three best teams he has seen in the ACC since he started coaching at UNC 25 years ago.

In defeat, junior Stephen Krebs won both diving events for the Tar Heels, and junior Sean Quinn won both the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke events.

However, the Tar Heels had trouble finding further success. Yuri Suguiyama got UNC's only other win, touching first in the 200-yard freestyle.

Despite UVa.'s domination, Quinn said the loss could actually benefit the Tar Heels. "You're always disappointed when you lose," Quinn said. "But Virginia is a good program, and we stepped up well. It's good to swim against somebody better than you. It teaches you."

Unlike the men, the UNC women kept their meet close. The Tar Heels were ahead early on, but diving scores and the final two races pushed the Cavaliers ahead and gave them the narrow victory.

Senior Katie Hathaway and sophomore Jessi Perruquet led the way for UNC, each winning two events.

Senior Stefanie Rulis said losing at the end was hard, but, like the men's team, the women will view the meet as a learning experience.

Rulis said, "I wouldn't say anybody likes to lose, but it makes us hungrier."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.