Edwards Chosen as Spring Commencement Speaker

Though they like the choice, some committee members say they wish the process was more collaborative.

Members of the UNC community said they are thrilled with Edwards' selection because of his name recognition and ties to the University.

Edwards received a law degree with honors from UNC in 1977. He was elected senator in November 1998 and has fought for issues such as education, campaign finance reform and patients' rights.

"John Edwards will make an incredible Commencement speaker because of his political prominence and the things he's done for North Carolina as well as the nation," said Student Body President Justin Young.

Many students and faculty echoed Young's sentiments, citing Edwards' rumored intentions to run for president in 2004 as evidence of his strong qualifications as a speaker.

"I'm very excited -- I think he will offer a very unique perspective to the class of 2002," said Senior Class President Ben Singer. "We all know he's probably the leading presidential candidate for the next election."

Although senior class officials said they are satisfied that Edwards was chosen, some students said they are not pleased with the selection process.

The committee suffered its first setback when entertainer Bill Cosby declined because of a scheduling conflict. Recently, Chancellor James Moeser suggested that the committee consider choosing a faculty member such as journalism Professor Chuck Stone or English Professor Doris Betts because of time constraints.

Young said he is glad the committee was able to snag Edwards but that he wishes the final selection had been a more collective decision.

"As far as the process goes, we were kind of caught off guard," he said. "The speaker committee was under the impression that we would be meeting one more time before the decision was made. I think Senator Edwards is a good choice -- I just wish we had been consulted more."

Singer also said he would have liked the process to go more smoothly, but he said the experience will allow important changes to be made for next year.

"It's been a constant thing that once the speaker is selected, we all feel like we dodged the bullet and can keep on moving," Singer said. "I think that's where we can really improve -- we can get started earlier."

Stone said he is glad to see the process come to an end and that he is not disappointed that the committee did not choose him. "The main thing is we got someone of national stature, and that's what I wanted all along," he said.

Edwards has spoken on campus twice in the last year -- Sept. 10, at the dedication of a new facility at UNC Hospitals, and Feb. 21, as part of the "Tuesdays with Friday" lecture series.

But Singer said he expects the Commencement address to surpass all of Edwards' other appearances.

"The aura, the feel, everyone's out there -- it's an amazing event, and he will prepare an amazing speech," he said.

"He's one of Chapel Hill's jewels -- for him to come back is our privilege."