Gymnastics Team Starts Year With Win

The UNC gymnastics team upped its all-time record against William & Mary to 30-8 with a victory Monday.

Sophomore Anna Wilson scored a 38.850 to take first in the all-around. Wilson tied for first on uneven bars with a 9.700 and third on floor with a 9.700.

Sophomore Maddy Curley took second place in the all-around with a score of 38.825. Curley placed first on beam with a personal best 9.900, second on floor with a 9.750 and fourth on bars with a 9.550.

In their first collegiate meet, freshmen Amy Williams and Olivia Trusty placed first on vault and first on floor, respectively.

Senior Monica Middleton placed second on vault with a 9.800 and third on beam with a 9.825. Junior Natalie Halbach finished second on beam with a 9.850. Junior Fritzie Cathcart finished third on vault with a 9.700 and third on bars with a 9.625.

Also competing for the Tar Heels were Skylar Inman, Amanda Smith and Chrissy Klonne. Inman finished sixth in the uneven bars with a score of 9.075, Smith placed eighth in the balance beam with a score of 9.400, and Klonne finished sixth in the floor exercise with a score of 9.475.

The North Carolina-William & Mary series record is now 30-8 in favor of the Tar Heels. The UNC gymnastics team is in action again at the George Washington Invitational on Saturday, January 19 at noon.