Officials Still Debating Sale of Tract

Although UNC officials said they are intrigued by the idea of creating more affordable housing for faculty and staff, discussions late last week revealed reluctance about selling the 62-acre Horace Williams satellite tract to developers Phil Szostak and Bob Chapman.

The tract, located in Carrboro, could become part of the proposed Winmore mixed-use development -- developed by Szostak and Chapman -- which could include housing that would be available for UNC faculty and staff.

"In preliminary discussions with Winmore, it appears that the homes would sell for less than the median price in Carrboro," said Nancy Suttenfield, vice chancellor for finance and administration, at Thursday's UNC Board of Trustees meeting. "We have talked many times about the lack of housing within Carrboro for young faculty and staff members, so we were intrigued."

Sue Estroff, chairwoman of the Faculty Council, said housing in Chapel Hill is unaffordable for faculty members.

Estroff said many faculty members, herself included, have made decisions about whether to accept an offer from a university based on the availability of affordable housing in the area. She said the cost-of-living price of housing can be as important in attracting faculty as faculty salary and benefit packages.

"(Housing) is a very important part of the total recruitment and retention package that would help boost us up to where we want to be," Estroff said.

But Suttenfield stopped short of recommending the sale of the tract, saying that BOT members first need to decide whether they consider the development of affordable homes an appropriate use.

The tract was appraised at slightly less than $1 million more than a year ago, although Suttenfield said the proposed development at Winmore would probably increase the value of UNC's land.

Trustee Jim Hynes said Thursday he is in favor of using the land to create new housing in Carrboro. "I think affordable housing will be a problem in the years ahead -- this gives us a way to maintain control," he said.

But Trustee Nelson Schwab countered with the fear that development in the area could drive up the prices of homes on the satellite tract.

Another sticking point was whether UNC would be paid a fair price for the land. When the land was originally donated to the University, it was done under the condition that the satellite tract be sold and proceeds donated to the Department of Philosophy.

Although Suttenfield said she sensed the trustees were not yet comfortable with the idea of selling the land, she said her office would develop a memo for the next BOT meeting outlining options.

But the concept of creating affordable housing met with approval from most officials, such as Trustee David Pardue. He said, "The central issue of affordable housing is very important, but the issue is whether we try to do it ourselves."