Schmidt Running for NCAA Bid

The North Carolina sophomore runner feeds on the thrill of competing against the nation's finest collegiate runners.

But before lining up to race and before the crack of the starter's pistol, she is a bundle of nerves.

"I love the competition but at the same time, I get really nervous before I race," Schmidt said. "But I love to compete and it almost comes naturally, just always wanting to win."

As a freshman in 2001, Schmidt won the ACC championship in the 800-meter run, ran the 800 leg for UNC's NCAA runner-up distance medley relay team and earned three All-American honors.

But she said she has not let the pressure of those successes weigh heavily on her as she begins the indoor season.

"This year I've settled more into my running," Schmidt said. "I can focus more on running a good race and being competitive and just winning."

Schmidt won the 800 at the Tar Heel Elite meet on Jan. 18 with a time of 2 minutes, 8.96 seconds, barely missing the NCAA's automatic qualifying time of 2:07.30.

She next will attempt to qualify Saturday at the Blue Heaven Track and Field Rumble at the Eddie Smith Fieldhouse.

"She's a tremendously talented and big-time competitor," said UNC distance coach Michael Whittlesey.

Schmidt says she is ahead of her progress in 2001, an improvement she attributes to hard summer training and a strong cross country season.

"I feel like I'm in a good position to run fast," she said. "We're going to Arkansas next weekend, and I think (it) will be a great opportunity for me to bust out a good 800 time."

The 6-foot Schmidt, who stands out above her opponents, will be a prime target in the 800 this season. Last year's NCAA champion graduated, and if Schmidt qualifies, she will be the fastest returner in the NCAA field.

"The 800 is a race where to get to the finals is hard," she said. "But once you're at finals everyone is on the same level. It's about who races well that day."

Although Schmidt is focused intensely on this season, the U.S. Olympic trials, which will take place in 2004, are in the back of her mind.

And while she would like to compete in the Olympics and perhaps professionally, Schmidt said simply running transcends the races and the competition.

"Running takes up a lot of my time, but it's a big stress reliever," she said. "Even if I wasn't an athlete, I would still run."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.