UNC Swimmers Ace Ivy League Test

The Tar Heel swimming and diving teams had little difficulty besting Brown in a non-conference clash.

Although the season resumed last weekend for the North Carolina swimming and diving teams, Wednesday's meet against Brown resembled something out of the preseason, as both the men's and the women's squads cruised to easy victories at Koury Natatorium.

Chris Helin, Stephen Krebs and Sean Quinn each were double winners for the UNC men, who took nine of 16 events to beat Brown 164-120.

Meanwhile, the UNC women built on Sunday's victory over the Tigers, defeating the Bears 169-129.

Yuri Suguiyama and Michael Chenier also notched individual victories for the men's team, which evened its season record to 3-3 and rebounded from last Sunday's home loss to Clemson.

"I feel better about how the team performed," said Quinn, winner of the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes. "I executed a few small things today that I wasn't able to do Sunday. Coach always points out there's a few small things that I am lacking right now, but they'll come with time."

On the women's side, Becky Acker led the Tar Heels (5-1) with victories in the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes and the 400-yard individual medley. Lindsay Waddell and Jessi Perruquet had two wins apiece.

Acker downplayed her three victories after the meet, pointing to the absence of UNC senior Katie Hathaway as a reason for her success.

"I swam better than I did on Sunday, but I think I won the events because (Hathaway) wasn't here," Acker said. "That's good because she's not going to be here next year, so maybe it shows that I can fill her shoes. But those are some big shoes to fill."

Despite the absence of Hathaway, who was in class, the meet against the Bear women (2-2) often resembled a test run for more important meets. UNC swam several of the later races as exhibition heats.

"Brown is here to make us better," Acker said. "Like our coach said, we don't want to rub anything in their face."

Said Quinn: "Usually against Brown it's always a fun meet, and they always swim really well for us. But I think we kind of came in today with a really different focus, to try to get tuned up for Saturday against Virginia."

The Tar Heels will need to be ready for the Cavaliers. Both the UVa. men's and women's teams are undefeated in the ACC, not to mention the Cavaliers are UNC's main conference rivals.

"As far as dual meets go, I'd have to say Virginia is the biggest dual meet that we swim," said UNC coach Frank Comfort. "It's one of the reasons our kids get up early in the morning and do all the work that they do. It's an exciting meet and we're looking forward to it."

Perhaps the meet against Virginia will feature some of the excitement lacking in Wednesday's races. In the men's 200-meter breaststroke, Quinn coasted past three swimmers from Brown (2-2), beating the second-place finisher by over eight seconds and drawing exasperation from a Brown parent.

"They just came off a hard training trip to Sarasota," he quipped.

In that case, Florida to North Carolina is a long way to go for an exhibition meet.

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.