UNC Women Drain 3s, Down Tigers

North Carolina hit 13 of 26 3-pointers and held off a second-half Clemson run en route to an 89-85 victory.

CLEMSON, S.C. -- Coretta Brown scored a season-high 26 points, including a career-best six 3-point goals, and Nikki Teasley added 20 to lead North Carolina to an 89-85 victory against Clemson on Sunday at Littlejohn Coliseum.

Kenya McBee added a career-high 17 points and 12 rebounds in her first career start, while guard Leah Metcalf added 15 for the Tar Heels (14-3, 4-1 in the ACC).

Three-point shooting was a key to the game. North Carolina was 13-for-26 behind the arc, while Clemson was 5-for-13. UNC's 13 3-point goals were one shy of its single-game mark of 14, set in 1991.

North Carolina took a 21-11 lead in the first eight minutes of the contest. Teasley's 3-point goal from the right wing, the 200th of her career, gave UNC the 10-point advantage. But Clemson (10-6, 2-3) responded with an 8-0 run to cut the margin to 21-19 at the 10-minute mark.

North Carolina led 47-43 at halftime and increased its lead to 52-44 two minutes into the second half before Clemson went on a 16-1 run to take a 60-55 lead with 13:57 left. Krystal Scott's 3-point goal gave Clemson a 56-53 lead, its first advantage since the opening minutes of the game.

North Carolina began a barrage of 3-point shots with 13 minutes left in the game. The Tar Heels made 3-pointers on three consecutive scoring possessions to take a 66-64 lead at the 11:25 mark. The two teams then went back and forth exchanging the lead for the next few minutes.

North Carolina took the lead for good at 71-69 on a 3-point goal by Brown with 8:07 left. Clemson trailed by seven at the 3:49 mark, but went on a 5-0 run to cut the margin to 85-83 with 1:12 remaining.

But North Carolina scored on its next possession on a bucket by Metcalf. Clemson then scored on a layup by Scott to cut the margin to 87-85 with 45 seconds left.

After a defensive stop, Clemson got the ball back with a chance to tie with 12 seconds remaining. Scott drove the lane, but her shot missed. Teasley grabbed the rebound, was fouled and hit two free throws to secure the victory.

UNC Wrestlers Go 3-2 in Virginia

HAMPTON, Va. -- The North Carolina wrestling team defeated Indiana 23-21 and Army 28-12 before falling to Kent State 19-20 in the consolation round of the Virginia Duals on Saturday.

The Tar Heels finished the tournament at 3-2 after beating Virginia Tech 30-12 and losing to Missouri 9-37 on Friday night.

Evan Sola (133 pounds) led the Tar Heels against the Hoosiers with a pin in 4:19. Brad Byers (141 pounds) and Mike Booth (149 pounds) each scored major decisions for coach Bill Lam's club.

Jake Reynolds (165 pounds) won by decision, while Matt Kenny (heavyweight) was awarded a forfeit.

Against Army, Kenny won by pin at 2:12 and Reynolds scored a major decision for the Tar Heels. Booth, James O'Connor (157 pounds), Mark Canty (174 pounds) and Nick Richmond (184 pounds) won by decision, and Chris Rodrigues (125 pounds) won by forfeit.

North Carolina begins its ACC season Wednesday as rival N.C. State comes to Chapel Hill for a 7:30 p.m. match in Carmichael Auditorium.