Women Break Shooting Slump

UNC shot a season-best 54.4 percent from the floor in a 79-64 home victory against Virginia on Sunday.

After struggling recently through poor shooting performances, Nikki Teasley went back to her natural position Sunday. Meanwhile, the rest of the North Carolina women's basketball team rediscovered the shooting touch that proved so elusive of late.

With Teasley getting her first start of the year at point guard, the Tar Heels had their hottest-shooting ACC game this year and cruised to a 79-65 victory against Virginia before 5,114 at Carmichael Auditorium.

"I know lately I've been taking some bad shots, trying to get myself going," said Teasley, who was 3 of 5 from the floor Sunday. "I just tried to move it around and make sure we get wide open shots."

Teasley's numbers -- 10 points and seven assists in 26 minutes -- weren't astonishing. But her presence and experience as UNC's primary ball handler helped to free up off-guard Coretta Brown, who led the Tar Heels with 22 points and hit four 3-pointers.

The difference was notable early on. Instead of launching the dizzying array of perimeter shots it had in recent conference losses, North Carolina (15-6, 5-4 in the ACC) got the ball inside and pounded UVa.'s frontcourt.

Candace Sutton benefited most from UNC's efforts to get the ball in the post, scoring eight points on 4-of-7 shooting in the first half. Often Sutton received the ball deep, then drop stepped and flicked the ball off the glass for an easy bucket.

"We just weren't able to get enough to stop Sutton inside," said UVa. coach Debbie Ryan. "Teasley hit a couple of big shots on us, and Brown on the outside, as well."

North Carolina jumped to a 24-16 lead 11 minutes into first half when Brown found her outside stroke, draining a 3 from the left wing.

But soon the Cavs (11-9, 4-5) came back by going right at the Tar Heels' interior defenders, and UVa. eventually tied the score at 29 with 4:41 left before halftime.

Virginia had the momentum. But the Tar Heels finished the half with an 11-0 run to take a 40-29 advantage at the break.

"We were pretty much in control at 29-29 with several possessions to put us up, but we just didn't do it," Ryan said.

UNC shot 55.2 percent in the first half and was nearly as good after halftime, shooting 53.6 percent.

The Cavaliers, though, hung close after senior guard Telisha Quarles single-handedly cut the Tar Heels' lead to five. Quarles scored 10 straight points, including back-to-back 3s, to trim the UNC lead to 46-41 five minutes into the second half.

But UNC coach Sylvia Hatchell instructed Brown to face guard Quarles, and the UVa. guard scored just six points the rest of the way and finished with 23.

Virginia's chances went the way of Quarles' offense, and UNC -- with its improved shooting, cruised.

"Virginia's a good team, and they play good defense," Hatchell said. "But we shot the ball better. It's simple."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.