Controversy Stalls TPAC Proposal

The Cabinet, composed of vice chancellors and several other administrators, was scheduled to meet today to view TPAC's recommendation, which was supposed to be finalized Wednesday.

At last week's meeting, Chairman Bob Knight presented the committee with a series of five directives he attributed to Chancellor James Moeser. The committee voted on the directives with the intention that the results of its vote be submitted to the Cabinet.

But Knight admitted after the meeting that the directives the committee had voted on were not issued by the chancellor but were his own ideas.

Knight sent a reconciliatory e-mail Friday to TPAC members to eliminate any confusion about the source of the directives and to reiterate what the committee had passed.

But Student Body President Justin Young, a member of TPAC, said the vote results were "null and void" due to the misunderstandings.

Therefore, instead of approving a budget proposal from TPAC, the Cabinet will listen to an informative presentation by Knight and Carolyn Elfland, associate vice chancellor for auxiliary services.

Knight said the presentation will comprise a synopsis of parking issues as well as a rundown of TPAC's progress at past meetings. "(The Cabinet) is just going to listen to be better informed," he said. "The committee doesn't have anything close to a formal recommendation."

Although last Wednesday's meeting was scheduled to be TPAC's final opportunity to develop a budget, Knight said he hopes the committee can reconvene this week to iron out a proposal.

But graduate student committee member Emily Williamson is skeptical about whether TPAC will be able to regroup before the March meeting of the UNC Board of Trustees, where the final vote on the budget will occur. "A few members said they were going to resign," she said. "People said things they probably regret."

Young said that although the debate by committee members at last week's meeting is no longer valid, student opinions must be in the final recommendation.

"We have to come up with a recommendation, and despite the fiasco from last week, we are making progress, so we need to go back and rekindle that."