Developer Petitions Council to Hear Plan

Tom Tucker wants the Town Council to approve his plan for a mixed-used community to be built in Northside.

Developer Tom Tucker submitted a proposal to the council Monday night, requesting an expedited review for a proposed mixed-use development despite a virtual moratorium passed by the council two weeks ago.

On Jan. 28, the council voted to postpone all development hearings until it finishes crafting a new zoning ordinance. The council is not expected to complete the new regulations before late summer or early fall.

Tucker's development, which will combine residential and commercial spaces to create a live-and-work community, would stand on the corner of West Rosemary Street and Mitchell Lane. Should the council grant review, the project could be approved within the next few months.

The plan would bring a three-story complex to the Northside neighborhood. The project includes 42 residential units and 6,000 feet of retail space.

"I'm confident they'll let us proceed," Tucker said. "We've been in the process for 2 1/2 years and we've responded to all the changes the council asked us to make."

The council has already granted exceptions to some projects -- not including Tucker's plan -- that were given prior approval by the town planning board. On Monday night, the council heard a petition to review his proposal, which has not received the planning board's approval.

To grant expedited review, the council must determine that a development offers a demonstrated public benefit.

Tucker said his plan will cater to the town's needs. He pledged to provide the monetary equivalent of 15 percent of his residential units to the town or local housing nonprofit organizations.

"Ideally, we'd like to put the money back into the Northside community," he said.

Council member Dorothy Verkerk said the project deserves special consideration.

"With projects that were almost to completion, we didn't want to make them wait an additional six to seven months," Verkerk said. "I think this project is in keeping with the vision we have for downtown."

Tucker said the development would bring more small businesses to downtown. "The retail stores are smaller in scale, which favors those who want to rent smaller, less expensive spaces," he said.

"You don't find those on Franklin Street."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.