Student Congress Revives Web Site After 3 Years

Student Congress Speaker Pro Tem Matt O'Brien launched the updated Student Congress Web site Tuesday after three years of neglect by past officials.

As part of his job as speaker pro tem, O'Brien is in charge of maintaining the Web site. He said the site was not updated regularly in the past because members had trouble passing the duties when the former speaker pro tem graduated.

"We had to purchase new software, and then the Web site had to be designed and created," O'Brien said.

Speaker Mark Townsend said Congress members also encountered obstacles from University officials.

"It was a long and difficult process in getting (Academic Technology & Networks') approval for the new software for the Web site," Townsend said.

Townsend said Congress decided at the beginning of the semester that it wanted to update the Web site and use it to help better inform students on its activities.

The Web site's new features include a fact sheet on Congress, information on how to get involved, a roster of Congress members with contact numbers, a schedule of committees and deadlines, and status reports of bills and resolutions on the agenda.

O'Brien said the Web site already includes bills and legislation posted from the last meeting and will continue to be updated on a weekly basis.

Townsend said most students are unaware of the job Congress does and that he anticipates the Web site will better inform students about how it works.

Congress members said they hope the site will be a good resource for students interested in Congress.

"The Web site will be used to push to fill Congress," O'Brien said.

The 83rd session of Congress will end in the late spring, but Townsend said he would like to see the 84th session continue to update the Web site.

Patti Tutla, a junior from Charlotte, said Congress is in the shadow of the executive branch of student government but said she is glad she will be able to get information from the new Web site.

"A lot of students feel detached from Student Congress. At least people who want to know about it will have access to it through the Web site."

The Congress Web site is located at http://www.unc.edu/student/orgs/congress.