Teasley, Teammates Earn Accolades

Nikki Teasley, Coretta Brown and Leah Metcalf all have received honors heading into the ACC Tournament.

The WBCA roster includes 17 Division I players, as well as the Division II, III and NAIA players of the year. This year the college seniors will take on the USA Basketball National Team.

Tip-off is scheduled for 5 p.m. Saturday, March 30, at the University of Texas at San Antonio Convocation Center.

Team USA will be coached by Van Chancellor (Houston Comets) and features Olympians Chamique Holdsclaw (Washington Mystics), Sheryl Swoopes (Houston Comets), Lisa Leslie (Los Angeles Sparks), Delisha Milton (Los Angeles Sparks), Dawn Staley (Charlotte Sting) and Natalie Williams (Utah Starzz).

In addition, Teasley and fellow North Carolina guard Coretta Brown were named to the All-ACC women's basketball first team Tuesday. Guard Leah Metcalf, who joins Brown and Teasley in the starting lineup, was named to the ACC All-Freshmen team.

Teasley leads the conference in assists for the fourth year with 5.2 per game. She ranks second on the team and sixth in the conference in scoring with 15.4 points per game and is just behind Brown in 3-point percentage (38.7) and 3s per game (2.4). Also a member of the Preseason All-ACC team, she was a second-team All-ACC selection as a sophomore and third-team as a junior.

Brown, a 5-foot-8 junior from Statesboro, Ga., leads UNC and ranks third in the conference in scoring with 16.8 points per game. She also ranks among the league's top 10 in field-goal percentage (8th, 44.1 percent), 3-point percentage (1st, 39.9), 3-pointers per game (1st, 2.8), assists (8th, 3.7 per game) and assist-to-turnover ratio (6th, 1.43). She was named to the Preseason All-ACC team and was a second-team selection last season.

Metcalf, a 5-7 guard from Charlotte, was the ACC's Preseason Rookie of the Year and has started all but one game for UNC this season. She ranks third in the conference in assists (4.3 per game), fifth in steals (2.1 per game) and eighth in

3-pointers (1.4 per game).

In addition to All-Freshman honors, Metcalf earned All-ACC honorable mention, as did sophomore center Candace Sutton.

The Tar Heels, 22-7 overall and

11-5 in ACC play, begin action in the 25th annual ACC Tournament on Saturday in Greensboro. The No. 2 seed in the field, UNC will play at 4:30 p.m. against the winner of Friday's game between No. 7 Wake Forest and No. 8 Maryland.