Town, University Expect Talks to Keep Relationship Healthy

The town and UNC clashed over the implementation of the University's Development Plan, an eight-year plan for campus growth, last year when University plans overlapped with existing town residences.

But so far, officials on both sides say they have been working hand in hand during preliminary downtown planning sessions and look forward to improved town-gown relations.

Chapel Hill officials held the first downtown design workshop Feb. 16, inviting residents and business owners to present ideas for the town's future growth. A recap meeting was held Tuesday primarily for town business owners who could not attend the daylong development planning discussion.

UNC officials also attended the recap meeting. The Chapel Hill Town Council, along with Stephen Condrin, UNC property officer, and Linda Convissor, UNC Master Plan project manager, led the recap forum Tuesday.

"I think our position is to work with the town in reaching their goals," said Bruce Runberg, UNC associate vice chancellor for facilities services.

But the relationship between the two parties hasn't always been this relaxed.

Former council member Joyce Brown said there was quite a bit of tension between the Town Council and the University last year.

"The relationship at the time was strained," Brown said. "There was some indication as if the Town Council members were forced into a bind by the University."

Town Council member Mark Kleinschmidt said while he agrees that working with UNC on the Development Plan caused some problems last year, he is optimistic about town-gown relations in the future.

"Last year was a little bumpier with the Development Plan, but we have a good history with the University and continue to have a good relationship with them," Kleinschmidt said.

Town Council member Pat Evans said it is crucial for the two parties to work together.

"Over my eight years on the council, I have stressed the importance of working with the University as well as with the business community because it is vital to the town's success," she said.

To continue that success, the town will be holding two more planning sessions in the future, the next scheduled for the end of March.

At this time, the town is brainstorming ideas for downtown design that could be used at a later date. Although nothing has been set in stone yet, a list of guidelines has been established for the planning proposals.

The Town Planning Committee eventually will develop specific proposals from the earlier meetings and present these details to the Town Council.

Runberg said the progress in town and University relations is evident in the success of the preliminary downtown talks.

"I was extremely encouraged with the ideas presented at the session."

The City Editor can be reached at citydesk@unc.edu.