Quick Offense Leads Women's Lacrosse Past Terps

Matching the Terrapins -- who've won the national title seven years in a row -- in the talent department is a rare feat, even for UNC, which has historically fared relatively well against Maryland.

It turned out, though, that individual skill played less of a role Sunday than did teamwork and stamina, as the Tar Heels wore down the Terrapins and won 13-11.

The win came on the heels of Friday night's 15-5 romp against Johns Hopkins.

"It was an overall team effort today," UNC coach Jenny Slingluff Levy said. "It was the first challenging weekend for our team, and I was impressed with our ability to be a little tired and still make good decisions. We played hard and stayed pretty fresh for 60 minutes."

The Tar Heels (3-0) trailed 7-5 less than a minute into the second half when they began a spurt that effectively put Maryland (0-2) away.

In a span of about 13 minutes, UNC reeled off six goals to take an 11-8 lead. Senior Kellie Thompson netted two goals in that run, and three on the day.

Maryland tried to fight back with goals of its own, but couldn't stop the Tar Heels' offensive attack.

"Our attack works well against what they do defensively," said UNC's Lindsay Stone, who posted four goals and one assist. "They leave people open and it allows us to find cutters across the middle."

Maryland coach Cindy Timchal was aware of the "dangerous" nature of the UNC offensive unit coming into the game and cited the Tar Heels' speed and cutting ability as the game's determining factor.

Helping UNC to control the offensive flow of the game was its performance on face-offs, where it won the battle 15-11. Thus, the Tar Heels maintained ball possession -- and momentum -- at crucial points in the contest, keeping the Terrapins at bay.

"It's been something we've been working at," Thompson said. "We just want to get the ball."

North Carolina jumped out to an early 4-1 advantage through the first 12 minutes of the game, but Maryland fired back with six goals of its own to end the first half with a 6-5 advantage.

Despite the game's result, Maryland won many of the important battles: the Terps outshot UNC 30-21, picked up more ground balls than the Tar Heels and gave up fewer turnovers.

Sunday's game proved a stark contrast to Friday's game against JHU. The Tar Heels utilized their explosive offense to build a 9-1 lead by halftime and coasted from that point.

Thompson led the way for UNC with four goals, while Erin McInnes tallied a pair of goals and four assists.

Said Stone: "Johns Hopkins is a tough team; the score just did not show it."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.