Roads End, Begin Again At Tourney

Beneath bleachers of cheering fans as the next game got underway, Robinson wouldn't address his job security. But everyone knew this was the last time he'd appear as a Seminole. He was fired three days later.

"We've been together with these guys and shared a lot of moments," he said. "It's always tough, but it's part of the business. It's what we do as coaches and players."

When Georgia Tech's comeback against Wake Forest fell short, its season and Tony Akins' career ended. Coach Paul Hewitt couldn't bring himself to contemplate next season. Looking ahead without blinking, Akins sat and quietly answered questions.

Conference tournaments are a sadist's fantasy island. Pain, suffering and tears are on display all weekend.

In North Carolina's locker room, Melvin Scott and Jawad Williams sat together and seemed in high spirits considering they had just lost their third game to Duke. Given the unexpected rocky road they travelled their freshman year, some might think they were glad for it to finally be over.

Further could that be from truth.

All it took to straighten them up was to ask about next season or what they've learned from this 8-20 one.

"We look happy and we're smiling," Scott said after the 60-48 loss. "But we can't just accept a loss. We just feel we've seen out there that we improved. That's the most important thing. The coaches improved. The entire team improved."

True, it took a drastic, spastic snail of an offense to stay within 12 points of Duke, the Tar Heels lost 15 of their last 18, and three of their last four regular-season games were embarrassments at State and Duke and to Ohio. It took three months, but this team did finally get better even though the record doesn't reflect that.

A 15-point loss to Maryland instead of the 33-point one earlier. A tight game at Virginia. A win against FSU and another blowout of Clemson. Then the hearty final effort against Duke.

"We were definitely playing our best basketball at the end of the year," said sophomore Adam Boone. "And that will give us a lot of confidence, especially with us having a lot of guys coming back and with the newcomers."

Williams and Scott will likely figure prominently into next year's equation. And they say they're ready to take on important leadership roles as sophomores on next fall's even younger team. They're already bonding with the incoming freshmen.

Williams said that their experiences this year will surely drive them in the future. As he answered questions, Scott's emotions prevented him from silently sitting by.

"We won't let this happen again," Williams said. "Ever," Scott finished.

"We got a taste of it," Scott intervened again. "We know what it's like and we've got to pass it on to the young guys coming in."

The tribulations matured these players more than anything else could have.

Instead of following the Tar Heels to an NCAA bracket location, I spent most of Spring Break in Key West, Fla. The first night there I saw UNC defeat Duke ... in a female rump-shaking contest.

Later, I watched Hampton, Davidson, and Neil Fingleton's new team, Holy Cross, play in the NCAA tournament. UNC coach Matt Doherty's former squad, Notre Dame, almost beat the Blue Devils in the second round. And a UNC -- the one from Wilmington -- got a tourney win. Oh, irony.

In 2002-03, North Carolina won't be among the ACC's top three. They'll be hard-pressed to get 20 wins. But those returning will do all they can to extend their season through Spring Break.

"Next year I'll probably experience beating Duke," Williams said. "I just want to see a party on Franklin Street."

Instead of on Duval Street, as I did.

Mike Ogle can be reached at mogle@email.unc.edu.