Round Trippers Keep Tar Heels on Streak

Last year, Tar Heel coach Mike Fox noticed the bulk the Yellow Jackets possessed and decided to reassess the UNC weightlifting program.

The result? A 2002 team that does more lifting and less running, and one that, consequently, has battered opposing pitching as of late.

Wednesday afternoon was no different. The Tar Heels reeled off 22 hits en route to a 17-9 victory against Towson at Boshamer Stadium.

"I have never seen anything like this, not a team hitting with this kind of power," Fox said. "I'm not touching any of this; I'm just sitting back and trying not to mess it up."

UNC (17-8) put up 11 runs in the first three innings, including four off Towson starter Matt Nein (1-2). The Tar Heels hit six home runs in the first five frames, effectively ending the Tigers' chances of leaving Chapel Hill with a win.

The outpouring was led by Adam Greenberg, who hit three consecutive homers, just one shy of what he had hit over the previous 24 games.

Greenberg had a career day Wednesday. His three home runs and five runs scored established new highs, and his four hits and five RBIs matched season-highs.

"This is so fun to be a part of," Greenberg said. "We've been coming out and putting up a ton of runs, and everyday somebody new steps up."

Perhaps the hottest Tar Heel has been Chris Maples, who was on fire again Wednesday. Maples laced three hits, including a home run and a double, and scored two runs.

Four other Tar Heels tallied at least two hits, including Chad Prosser, who went 4-for-5 and scored two runs.

UNC starter Scott Manshack (3-0) earned the win against the Tigers

(9-10-1), working five innings and allowing two earned runs and four hits.

After winning 11 consecutive games at Boshamer Stadium, the Tar Heels will travel to Charlottesville, Va., for a three-game stand against Virginia.

"It's hard to get a win on the road," Fox said. "We've been playing well, but it's a different ball game when you leave home. We will have to pitch well, that's for sure."