Women's Swimming Grabs National Honors

Katie Hathaway was named an All-American for the fourth straight year and was honored in seven events.

Senior Katie Hathaway won All-America honors for the fourth consecutive year, making her the 17th UNC women's swimmer in history so honored.

Hathaway earned first-team All-America honors this year in the 200-yard breaststroke and was named honorable mention in the 200-yard individual medley and the 100-yard breaststroke. She also was named honorable mention All-America on four relay teams, all except the 400-yard medley relay.

Sophomore Jessi Perruquet was named first-team All-America for the second straight year. She earned first-team honors in the 200-yard freestyle, and she was honorable mention in the 100-yard freestyle and on five relay teams.

Junior Christy Watkins earned honorable mention honors in the 50- and 100-yard freestyles as well as on all five relay teams. It was the third straight year Watkins has been an All-American.

Sophomore Becky Acker earned honorable mention All-America honors in the 200-yard breaststroke for the second consecutive year. She was also honored for the 400-yard medley relay. Senior Stefanie Rulis has now been an All-American relay swimmer in 1999, 2000 and 2002. This year she was tapped for the 200- and 400-yard freestyle relays. Sophomore Kelly Weeks is a repeat All-America selection from 2001. She was a participant this year on the 200- and 400-yard medley relays and the 800-yard freestyle relay.

Track's Cvelbar Honored

UNC's Mike Cvelbar has been named co-winner of this week's ACC Track Athlete of the Week honor. Cvelbar provisionally qualified for the NCAAs in the decathalon at the FSU Relays last weekend with 7,482 points, missing the automatic qualifying mark by 18 points.

Cvelbar shares the honor with the Florida State 4x400 relay team that provisionally qualified for NCAAs with a 3:06.89 at the FSU Relays.

Lacrosse Teams Move in Rankings

The UNC women's lacrosse team is ranked No. 5 in the latest IWLCA coaches poll. They were ranked third in last week's poll. The men's lacrosse team improved from ninth to seventh in this week's USILA poll.