Baseball Shuts Out 49ers in Weekday Win

UNC's Scott Manshack pitched six shutout innings, and Russ Adams drove in four runs in a road win.

Manshack (5-0) allowed just two hits in six scoreless innings while striking out a career-high nine batters to lead

No. 19 UNC to its second shutout victory of the season. John Maine

(4-7) gave up three runs and took the loss for Charlotte, which has lost seven straight to UNC.

"It was a good night for us, getting our 30th win," said UNC coach Mike Fox. "I thought Scott pitched well. He got behind some in the count but he came back and got some strikeouts. He had a couple of innings where he was real efficient, and it looked like he had some good life on his fastball tonight. It was a good night all the way around."

UNC (30-14) scored three runs and chased Maine from the game in the third. With Maine struggling with his control, Chase Younts and Adam Greenberg drew consecutive walks to start the inning, and each advanced a base on a wild pitch. That set the stage for a sacrifice fly by Russ Adams to drive home Younts for the first run of the game. Sean Farrell hit a double to right, sending home Greenberg, and Maples singled in Farrell after the 49ers (17-24) brought out Pat Gambale from the bullpen.

Russ Adams again drove in Younts in the fourth for a 4-0 UNC lead, and a two-out double by Greg Mangum in the fifth gave the Tar Heels a 5-0 cushion.

A triple by Greenberg high off the right-field wall highlighted a two-run sixth inning for the Tar Heels. UNC's career triples leader, Greenberg hit his sixth of the season to drive home Younts, while Russ Adams added his second sacrifice fly of the game to knock home Greenberg from third to make the score 7-0.

Meanwhile, Charlotte had managed just a first-inning single off of Manshack until Brad Lamm sent the first pitch of the seventh inning up the middle. Fox brought Mell Adams out of the bullpen, and Adams delivered three straight outs in the seventh.

Russ Adams drove in his fourth run of the game and his ninth in the last two days with an RBI single in the eighth inning to cap the game's scoring at 8-0.

Daniel Moore pitched the eighth and Scott Senatore the ninth to preserve the shutout.