Black T-Shirts Mark Men's Commitment To Ending Violence

Organizers of the White Ribbon Campaign say recent assaults on campus might help increase participation in this year's event.

The White Ribbon Campaign is a one-week event dedicated to ending male violence against women. Organized by the N.C. Fellas, a male-only campus group, the campaign is in its fourth year at UNC.

Participants in the campaign have agreed to wear the T-shirts, which were provided free to students with funding from the Center for Healthy Student Behavior, all week.

They also encourage other male students to sign the campaign's pledge. By signing, men promise not to commit violent acts against women, condone violence or remain silent if they know of any violence.

Signers also say they understand violence can be physical or sexual and acknowledge how communication can help eradicate violence.

Senior William Harcombe, last year's chairman who is also helping plan this year's activities, said the goal of the campaign is to educate men about their role in ending violence against women. "We're trying to get men to start thinking about things we do that create an environment that allows rape," Harcombe said.

Matt Mattila, a sophomore working on the campaign, said men are reluctant to talk about the issue and feel threatened when women approach them about the subject.

He said getting men to discuss violence is progress. "The whole thing is to get guys to talk about it," Mattila said.

In addition to the T-shirts and ribbons, the week also included a speech Tuesday by N.C. State University Professor Michael Schwalbe.

The week will culminate with a rally at 12:15 p.m. Thursday, when participants will gather in the Pit to show solidarity against violence.

Harcombe said he hopes the event attracts most of the men involved this week. "It should be a strong statement," he said.

Organizers say the recent spike in on-campus assaults could be increasing participation. "When (male students) hear about (violence) more, they realize it's a bigger problem," Harcombe said.

Campaign Chairman William Bennett said N.C. Fellas started as a way to organize the White Ribbon Campaign, which is an international event. The N.C. Fellas also have organized a fall frisbee golf tournament the last two years to raise money for the campaign and other groups working to end violence against women.

Freshman Jimmy Satterwhite, who sat at a Pit table for the campaign Tuesday, said he is impressed with the increased number of men involved this year.

"This is the first year we've run out of T-shirts," he said. "So far, it's been an overwhelming response."