Costa's Problems Might Lie With Herself Rather Than Science Majors

Regarding Johanna Costa's April 4 column, "Science Majors Should Think Differently," has Ms. Costa ever spoken with a science major other than her friend who refuses to switch from biology to psychology because she's afraid of what people will think of her? While a few of us science majors do, admittedly, tend to look down on non-science majors, this is certainly not my viewpoint, nor is it that of most of my science major friends.

I'm an environmental science major, and I choose to pursue that major because of a genuine interest in the field, not because I think getting a bachelor's of science will somehow make me a smarter person than someone with a bachelor's of arts. Again, that viewpoint goes for many of my science major friends as well, including the pre-med "schlunks."

Maybe the problem is not us, the science majors, but Ms. Costa herself, who is perhaps feeling inferior herself and now perceives confirmation of those feelings in the attitudes of everyone else around her. Rather than venting this frustration on the undeserving science majors at UNC, she should learn to program the VCR and read the owner's manual for her car.

Catherine A Shields
Sophomore
Carolina Environmental Program