Daum Taps Cabinet, Forms 2 Committees

Daum named chairmen and vice chairmen for nine committees, a communications director and several executive assistants after an extensive selection process.

Along with Student Body Vice President Aaron Hiller, Secretary Rebecca Williford, Treasurer Michael Vollmer and Chief of Staff Rebekah Burford, Daum interviewed more than 50 applicants for the 29 positions.

Williford said that the field was competitive and that all the applicants were well-qualified. "It was very tough to decide," she said. "There were so many good people applying."

This year, Daum established two new committees: women's affairs and environmental issues.

Junior Kim Benton, co-chairwoman of the Women's Affairs Committee, said she wants to focus the new group on awareness and prevention of sexual violence, a cause to which she said she is extremely committed. "I want to teach women on campus where they can go, what rape is -- there needs to be a lot of education done on campus, and not just for women," Benton said.

The position of communications director, which will be held by junior Brad Overcash, is also a new post. Although it is a Cabinet-level position, it does not have an accompanying committee with it.

Overcash said one of his primary responsibilities will be planning a student summit, the meeting for students to voice concerns and opinions that was one of his main platform goals when he ran for student body president against Daum.

"By being communications director, I'll be able to dedicate so much more of my time personally to making the summit happen," Overcash said. "It's so important the first year that it gets done well, and I plan on getting it done real well."

Overcash said his other duties will include acting as a liaison between the executive branch and Student Congress, as well as communicating with the student body.

Daum said all the positions are filled except for a vice chairman for information technology.

Sophomore Jordan Campbell, the new chairman of the Minority Affairs Committee, said he is excited about his new post. "I have a lot of things on my plate, but I wanted to work with the student body individually, and I think this will really give me the chance to do that."