E-mail Sent To Warn Students

While police dispute some of the e-mail, they do say that people should look out for the man mentioned in it.

University Police Chief Derek Poarch said that although the e-mail is not completely accurate, students should watch out for the man described.

Samuel Ferebee, 62, of 130 E-8 S. Estes Drive, was arrested on campus March 27 and charged with two counts of assault on a female and one count of misdemeanor stalking, police reports state.

According to N.C. records, Ferebee also was convicted of misdemeanor stalking and misdemeanor assault on a female in 1993; misdemeanor breaking and entering in 1991; and felony breaking and entering, misdemeanor assault with a deadly weapon and felony attempted first-degree rape in 1990.

"For those that know him or know of him, if they see him on campus, they should look out," Poarch said.

Poarch said March 27 that Ferebee allegedly put his hands on a Duke University student's shoulders and back. He said the acts constituted simple assault, which is defined as any unwanted touching. Poarch said Ferebee then allegedly invited the student to walk down the hall with him, resulting in the stalking charges.

Ferebee is scheduled to appear in Orange County District Court in Hillsborough on April 29.

Before the incident, Ferebee had a trespass order against him that allowed him to attend only public events on campus.

After the March 27 arrest, he was ordered not to come onto any campus area except roadways.

Poarch said he does not know of any instances in which Ferebee has violated that order, but he urges students to call police if they see him.

"If he's on campus, we're going to arrest him."