Former UNC Defenders Selected for World Cup Team

Ex-Tar Heels Eddie Pope and Gregg Berhalter will start training in early May to play in games later that month.

The two defenders both have started games for the U.S. team during its 2002 qualifying campaign.

Pope, who lettered at UNC from 1992-95, will be making his second World Cup appearance, having started three Cup games in 1998.

A regular with the U.S. team throughout the last decade, Pope missed portions of the 1999 and 2000 seasons with a variety of injuries but has re-emerged as one of the squad's top stars.

Pope scored the USA's only goal in a 2-1 loss to Ireland earlier this spring, heading home a corner kick for the score. He is a key member of D.C. United of Major League Soccer and one of America's top on-the-ball defenders.

Berhalter lettered at UNC from 1991-93 and has played professionally in Europe since leaving Chapel Hill prior to his senior season in 1994.

Berhalter started three games as a central defender during the USA's 2002 qualifying season. This will be his first World Cup appearance.

The U.S. team will gather on May 1 in Cary to begin training for the World Cup, which begins in late May in Japan and South Korea.

Reed Signs With Saints

North Carolina place kicker Jeff Reed has agreed to terms with the New Orleans Saints and will join the team Friday for mini- camp.

A native of Charlotte, Reed handled all the place-kicking duties for the Tar Heels during the past two seasons. He had never kicked in a college game until the 2000 season, but he emerged as one of the most consistent kickers in the ACC.

Reed led the Tar Heels in scoring in 2000 and 2001 and established a school record by converting 66 consecutive extra points. Last season he was 12-of-16 in field goal tries and made 36 of 37 extra-point attempts.

In 2000, Reed made 16 of 20 field goal attempts and converted all 30 extra-point tries. He earned second-team All-ACC honors as a junior and was honorable-mention All-ACC as a senior.

Reed made 28 of 36 career field goals and 66 of 67 career extra-point tries. Reed is the 10th Tar Heel from the 2001 team to join an NFL club.

Men's Lacrosse Adds Two

The North Carolina men's lacrosse program has announced that two more prospects will be joining the Tar Heel program next fall.

The additional recruits were announced by second-year North Carolina coach John Haus on Tuesday.

Midfielder Ryan Tolson and defenseman Hayward Howard, both of Baltimore, Md., will join the Tar Heels next season.

Howard played three years of varsity lacrosse and one year of junior varsity lacrosse at St. Pauls School. Among his lacrosse honors are two-time Loch Raven All-Star, two-time Baltimore All-Star (Vail Team) and Top 205 All-Star.

Tolson will graduate this spring from Loyola High School. Tolson is a 6-foot-2, 195-pounder who has been a three-year varsity lacrosse player for the Dons.

A 2000 and 2001 Top 205 All-Star, Tolson was a member of Loyola's 2001 MIAA 'A' Conference championship squad.

The captain of the 2002 Loyola team, he was named to the all-star team in 2000 and 2001 at the Loch Raven Summer League and to the all-star team at the 2001 Champ Camp at Johns Hopkins. Tolson was also a 2001 Maryland Bay state all-star team member.

UNC Snags Carlyle Cup

UNC clinched the second annual Carlyle Cup competition over Duke with only one event remaining.

UNC held a commanding 24-14 lead going into the weekend of ACC championships and stretched its lead to 28-17 by picking up three points in men's golf and one point in overall track.

UNC needed 24.5 points to clinch the Carlyle Cup.

Finley Course Named Most Improved

Finley Golf Course was voted one of three Most Improved Courses in the country by Golf Digest.

The newest edition of Golf Digest's Places to Play, published by Fodor's Travel Publications, profiles more than 6,500 public and resort courses and provides the most comprehensive information on public-access golf courses in North America.

Each course earned a star rating from one to five with five-star courses offering 'golf at its absolute best' and one-star courses providing 'basic golf.' Finley earned four stars in 2002, up from two stars earned in 2000 to garner its most improved rating.

The other two most improved courses are Bide-A-Wee Golf Course (four stars in 2002, 1 1/2 stars in 2000) in Portsmouth, Va., and Wilderness Resort and Golf Course (four stars in 2002, two stars in 2000) in Wisconsin Dells, Wis.

Finley Golf Course is one of only 58 golf courses in North Carolina to receive four or more stars.

Pinehurst Country Club (No. 2 Course) is the only course in the state to receive five stars. The state's 58 courses with four or more stars ranks fourth nationally.

More than 20,000 Golf Digest readers filled out ballots sharing their opinions and experiences about each course.

Courses were judged on the overall golf experience, value for the money, standard of service, overall conditioning and pace of play.