Group Holds Banquet for Global Justice

The UNC Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence hopes the fund-raiser will help its fledgling newspaper.

The banquet, titled "Another World Is Possible: Banquet for Global Peace and Justice," was co-sponsored by the Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence, the Internationalist Books and Community Center, and the Triangle Free Press. It was held in the Carrboro Century Center.

The Campaign to End the Cycle of Violence is a UNC organization made up of students, faculty, staff and area residents. It was created to discuss and promote alternatives to military retaliation for September's terrorist attacks.

By mid-banquet, about 125 people were in attendance. Tickets to the event cost $15 for students and $25 for non-students.

According to the banquet's program, the evening's themes were the development of "alternatives to corporate dominated globalization," as well as "putting money where our hearts (are) to make another world possible."

Lauren Attanas, a member of the campaign and the banquet's coordinator, said the money raised would aid the organization and would also help a fledgling alternative newspaper get off the ground.

On American Soil, published by all three banquet sponsors, launched its pilot issue this spring. It covers U.S. foreign policy and domestic reactions to the war on terror. "It's hit the streets, and it's made it around the state, all the way to Virginia," Attanas said.

She said the paper, which is critical of American military action in the wake of Sept. 11, has even found an audience at Fort Bragg.

Attanas said the purpose of the banquet is to achieve more than just financial stability for the organization.

"I don't want this to be just a place where people come in, eat dinner, listen to some music and leave," she said.

In addition to raising funds, she said, she hopes Triangle residents use the opportunity to meet like-minded activists, share ideas and discuss "visions for a just society."

After the main course was served -- Moroccan pastries and an Indian dish, channa masala -- Brown spoke, encouraging diners to take the evening's message beyond the walls of the Century Center.

"We need to step outside of the usual suspects," she said. "Those of us who would normally participate in this kind of event need to challenge ourselves to go to people who are not participating in this kind of thing and find out why."

Andrew Pearson, a campaign member and treasurer for Internationalist Books, presented a homemade documentary of anti-war protesters marching and others delivering speeches.

He said part of the reason more people do not participate in organizations like the campaign is that the media does not give balanced coverage, which his work and On American Soil help remedy.

"The media in the (United States) has really given us a one-sided view of the war," he said. "Part of fixing this is getting out the alternative media."

Lighter fare was provided by local political satirist Dave Lippman. He was dressed as a CIA agent with mirror sunglasses and performed songs like "The Twelve Days of Bush-mas."

"You know, we do have now an education president," Lippman said.

"And that's good because he asks the important questions, like, 'Is our children learning?'"

The City Editor can be reached

at citydesk@unc.edu.