QB Durant Goes South In Search

The Charlotte Observer reported that former UNC quarterback Darian Durant wants to transfer to USC.

The Observer reported that USC hasn't offered Durant a scholarship, but that he will be at the Gamecocks' spring game April 13.

"The big thing is, yes, he does want to play for South Carolina," said Durant's father, Israel, to the Observer.

At the press conference announcing Durant's intent to transfer Feb. 25, UNC coach John Bunting said he would leave the door open for a possible Durant return.

Darryl Page, Durant's former coach at Wilson High in Florence, S.C., told the Observer he had counseled Durant to stay at UNC.

And so has Durant's father, Israel.

"I didn't want him to leave in the first place," Israel Durant told the Observer. "Darian has just never liked the atmosphere at North Carolina ... Once he got there, he realized he'd made a mistake."

But Durant's decision came as a surprise to many. The 5-foot-11, 227-pound quarterback set UNC freshman passing records in four categories while splitting time with senior Ronald Curry in the Tar Heels' 8-5, Peach Bowl-winning season.

Neither Darian Durant nor his father could be reached for comment Sunday, but Israel Durant told the Observer he thought his son would transfer.

"I wish he'd stay where he is," he told the Observer. "But he probably won't."