Rep. McIntyre Gives Talk at InterVarsity

In addition to InterVarsity, McIntyre spoke to two groups at UNC -- the School of Law students and the Christian Legal Society -- on the same topic earlier in the day.

McIntyre, who received both a bachelor's and law degree from UNC, served as president of the Granville Towers chapter of InterVarsity when he was an undergraduate. "This is kind of a homecoming for me," he said in a brief interview before his speech.

McIntyre opened his speech by thanking the organization for giving him a chance to speak at the University. "What a dream it was to go from Chapel Hill to Capitol Hill and come back to Chapel Hill tonight," he said.

McIntyre said his political career largely started because of religious influence in his life.

He recalled running for Congress in 1995 against the man he had interned for 24 years earlier. "God told me now was time to pursue the dream," he said. "People thought I was crazy because I had never held an elected office. But, by God's grace, I found myself elected."

He then challenged audience members to think about where they want to be in five years. "You really can't have a dream come true if you don't have a dream," he said.

McIntyre told the audience that they should follow three basic precepts in their lives: to pray, to prepare and to pursue their dreams.

He then said Christians must prepare for life itself. "You can't be prepared for the opportunities God gives you if you're not ready," he said.

McIntyre encouraged the members of InterVarsity to join national organizations that shared their concerns as a way to be involved in something that is going to make a difference.

Then he reminisced about some of his religious experiences in Congress.

McIntyre recalled reaching out to a fellow congressman and helping him find peace in prayer.

He also talked about his experience after the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11. He remembered breaking out into "God Bless America" on the Capitol steps with fellow congressmen. "What are we today?" he said. "One nation under God. But what is that today?"

McIntyre also recalled speaking with a widow of a Green Beret who recently died while fighting in Afghanistan. He asked the room to consider what a powerful sacrifice that soldier made. "His widow told me that he loved his country and he loved Jesus Christ," he said. "What do you love enough that you are willing to die for?"

The room fell silent until McIntyre joked about discussing UNC basketball with President Bush, who he said sympathized with the team's struggles this season.

McIntyre also talked about a Christian's role in politics. He said that he was a political science major in school but that his friends thought that he was crazy because politics was so corrupt.

"I replied, 'If we as Christians don't (run for office), who will?,'" he said. "There are people who would love to tell you what to do. So, if people with the right motives don't get into politics, then who will?"

The State & National Editor can be reached at stntdesk@unc.edu.