Softball Bounces Back, Takes 2 From Maryland

The Tar Heels beat Maryland 7-3 to win the consolation game, finishing with a 2-2 record in the tournament. On Friday, UNC lost twice to Georgia Tech, 1-0 and 5-4.

UNC (25-21) then opened the tourney Saturday with a 4-3 loss to Virginia in a game it led heading into the final frame.

The Tar Heels held a 3-1 advantage going into the bottom of the seventh before the Cavaliers (37-17) hit two singles and a double to pull within one run. After a ground out and a walk, the bases were loaded, and Kristen Dennis' ended the game on a two-run single.

Facing Georgia Tech in the second game, the Tar Heels found themselves down 5-0 after the first inning and never recovered, losing 8-5.

UNC scored all five of its runs in the bottom of the sixth, after the Yellow Jackets (37-11) had taken an 8-0 lead.

The game included catcher Natalie Anter's 11th home run of the season, which broke UNC's single-season mark.

"It was a goal that I had for this season since I hadn't gotten to do it in the other years," Anter said. "But it's just happening really easily. I wasn't thinking about it with this weekend and they just started going over."

UNC posted its first win of the tournament Sunday morning with an 8-3 victory against the Terrapins (21-17).

The Tar Heels were led by huge games from both Anter and freshman Jessica Young, who combined for two home runs and seven of the team's eight RBIs.

Freshman pitcher Brandi Griffin (2-0) got a win in her first game as a starter and hit her first home run to lead UNC to victory in the day's second game.

After allowing only three runs in seven innings on the mound while driving in three at the plate, Griffin downplayed her breakout performance.

"It was a day of firsts for me," she said. "You just have those days when you don't think about anything, and it just happens."

The Terrapins jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with runners coming around on a wild pitch and a walk.

UNC struck back with left fielder Quinn Porter's solo homer in the bottom of the third to get on the board. Griffin hit an RBI double in the bottom of the fourth to tie the score.

Maryland's Monica Cyphert hit a solo home run in the fifth, putting the Terps ahead 3-2. But UNC came back to score five runs on five hits in the bottom of the inning.

Right fielder Rosie Gustavson led off with a single and advanced to second on Porter's single to left. Anter then hit an RBI double and was followed by Young, who brought in another run with a sacrifice fly. First baseman Kelly Ramsey then laced an RBI single, and one batter later, Griffin launched her two-run homer to left center to put the game out of reach.

"We just wanted to get up and get ready for the last half of the season," Griffin said. "We stepped up. We looked like the Tar Heels today."

UNC coach Donna Papa was pleased her team was able to put the rough patch behind them and beat Maryland.

"Today I was really proud of the team the way they came out and took two from Maryland," she said. "I think it was key for the team to come out, and come out with their heads up and have confidence in each other and really play tough today."