Softball Cruises in 2-Game Sweep

North Carolina outhit Elon 24-8 and outscored the Phoenix 23-1 to sweep a doubleheader Thursday.

UNC beat Elon 18-1, tying a school record for runs, and 5-0 Thursday in back-to-back games at the UNC Softball Complex.

"We didn't know how they were going to come out today after Georgia really took it to us yesterday," said UNC coach Donna Papa.

Papa probably had a pretty good indication after the first inning, in which the Tar Heels (23-17) batted around nearly twice and scored 12 runs.

By the end of the inning, the seemingly endless rally left the UNC fans cheering for outs and groaning at the thought that the mercy rule wouldn't take effect for another four innings.

"Our team is definitely capable of hitting the ball," Papa said. "We seem to be that type of team where one person hits the ball and then everyone gets a hit."

Outfielder Tiffany Tolleson got things started for the Tar Heels with a lead-off walk and a steal, then advanced to third on a sacrifice bunt from outfielder Rosie Gustavson. Quinn Porter sent a single into right field, scoring Tolleson.

UNC got all the way back to the top of the lineup before Elon coach Patti Raduenz yanked Phoenix starting pitcher Megan Borgaard (4-8). Elon committed two errors with Borgaard on the mound.

With one out and trailing 6-0, Shannon Courtney came in to replace Borgaard but didn't prove to be much more effective, giving up another six runs before the inning was over.

UNC scored another six runs in three more innings. Borgaard scored Elon's lone run of the evening in the second inning. She led off with a double off Shannon Walsh (10-8) and eventually scored on a fly ball to left field.

"We were kind of disappointed they scored one," Papa said. "We're trying to play that as a 0-0 game."

In the second game, the Tar Heels were able to completely shut down the Phoenix with solid defense and good pitching from Ashley Allen (9-5).

Young and shortstop Dionne Streete led the Tar Heels' defense. The pair, which played a part in 11 outs, essentially sealed off the left side of the infield.

Young, who was originally recruited as an outfielder, also made two errors in the doubleheader and said she's still getting used to the infield.

"I haven't played infield since I was twelve," Young said. "I kind of had to step up. I come early to practice to get ground balls. With time I'll get better."

UNC's offense, which had exploded in the first game, cooled off considerably in Game Two. The Tar Heels stranded nine runners and left the bases loaded in the third inning.

"I was a little concerned when we only scored three," Papa said. "You always want to push your opponent down."

Elon pitcher Amanda Zentner (5-10) had a lot to do with that. The senior, who pitched a complete game, held the Tar Heels to eight hits and kept the Phoenix (9-23) within striking distance.

Leading 3-0 in the bottom of the sixth, second baseman Sarah Young gave the team its fourth run and a little more breathing room with a solo shot over the center field fence.

Tolleson and Porter manufactured the game's final run later in the inning. With two outs, Tolleson singled, stole second and scored on Porter's double. Porter finished the day with six RBIs, while Tolleson stole three bases and scored five runs.

"Hits are contagious," Tolleson said. "In the second game, the hits were sporadic. But when they came, they came all at once."

The Sports Editor can be reached at sports@unc.edu.