Softball Cruises, Sweeps Doubleheader on Road

UNC erased a 3-0 deficit to win the first game and cruised behind strong pitching to take the second.

UNC (27-21) used a five-run third inning to knock off the Fighting Camels in the day's first matchup. The Tar Heels were led by Tiffany Tolleson, who was 3-for-4 with two runs scored.

The Camels (23-25) took the lead early by pushing three runs across in the bottom of the first inning. But Campbell's lead would not last long.

The Tar Heels exploded for five runs on four hits in the the third to take a

5-3 lead. Emily Price started the inning with a triple and scored on an RBI single from Tolleson. UNC plated four more in the inning, including two on a home run by Natalie Anter, her 13th of the season.

The Camels fought back within one, but North Carolina extended its lead in the top of the seventh, scoring two runs to make the score 8-5.

UNC's Ashley Allen (10-6) got the win, while Holly Harris (8-7) took the loss for Campbell.

In the second game, North Carolina put three runs on the board in the top of the fifth inning. Shannon Walsh and Natashalyn Snipes collected back-to-back singles before Tolleson hit an infield single. Campbell catcher Carolyn Fortney threw the ball into the right-field corner, scoring all three baserunners.

Walsh improved to 11-10 this season. She allowed one run while striking out six and allowing just four hits.

The Camels' Kathy Freaney dropped to 9-11 on the season after the loss.