Tolleson, UNC Ground Seahawks

With the win, UNC improved to 30-23, while the Seahawks fell to 21-28.

The shutout was the Tar Heels' seventh of the season and the fifth by freshman pitcher Ashley Allen, who struck out four and allowed five hits.

"Natalie Anter called a great game behind the plate and Ashley hit her spots," said UNC coach Donna Papa. "And it was exciting to have Tiffany break the record at home."

Tolleson, who is in her first year at UNC after transferring from Stetson, came into the game with 79 hits, one shy of the school-record of 80, held by Theresa Buscemi in 1992 and Christine Kubin in 1996.

A pair of bunt singles, on her first and third at-bats, pushed her season total to 81.

"I never thought when I came to UNC I'd get anything like this," Tolleson said. "It's cool. There's been some pressure the last couple of games as I got close to the record, so I'm glad to get it over with."

Tolleson also scored two runs to take her season total to 51, and needs just two more to break the school single-season record in that category.

She already holds UNC's single-season record for stolen bases and, with a total of 54 in 53 games, leads the NCAA in steals per game.

Tolleson led off the bottom of the first with her first single, stole second and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by senior Rosie Gustavson.

Junior Quinn Porter then doubled to right to bring Tolleson home and give the Tar Heels the only run they would need.

UNC added a run in the fourth on an RBI single by freshman Erica Ennis and another in the fifth on an RBI single by the senior catcher Anter.

North Carolina scored four more runs on three hits and two Seahawk errors in the bottom of the sixth. Two runs came in on an error and two scored on another double by Porter, this one to center field.

The left fielder led UNC at the plate, going 2-for-2 with two doubles, three RBI and a walk. Tolleson was 2-for-3 and Gustavson was 2-for-4 with a pair of runs.

UNC-W freshman Jamie Gostyla threw the first five innings, giving up seven hits and three runs, two of them earned. Amanda Wilson, also a freshman, pitched the final frame, allowing four runs -- three earned -- on three hits.

Allen was on her game, though, as the Tar Heel hurler scattered five singles. The Seahawks got a runner to third three times, but couldn't get across the plate.