UNC Gymnastics Finishes 4th at NCAA Regionals

In their first regionals trip since 1991, the Tar Heels fell 1.225 points shy of advancing to the nationals.

The Tar Heels had three top-10 finishers at the meet. Senior Monica Middleton finished eighth on bars with a 9.850, while senior Lisa Companioni and freshman Elisabeth Alsop, both of whom placed eighth on beam with a 9.850. The score was a personal best for Alsop.

Sophomore Anna Wilson finished 12th in the all-around with a score of 38.655, while Middleton scored a 38.000 to finish 18th.

Freshman Olivia Trusty was UNC's top finisher on vault and floor. On vault, Trusty placed 13th with a score of 9.775. On floor, she finished 11th with a 9.825.

In order to advance to the NCAA Championships, UNC needed to place second or better.

3 Set Marks at Duke Track Meet

DURHAM -- UNC's track and field team wrapped up action at the Duke Invitational on Saturday, and three athletes earned NCAA provisional marks for their efforts.

Adam Shunk cleared a provisional height of 7 feet, 3 inches to take first place in the high jump, while Alice Schmidt and Liz Awtrey met provisional marks in the 800-meter run and 3000-meter steeplechase, respectively.

Men's Tennis Continues Streak

TALLAHASEE, Fla. -- The 29th-ranked North Carolina men's tennis team swept five of six singles matches Saturday to down Florida State 6-1 at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center.

The Tar Heels (14-4, 5-0 in the ACC) have won six straight matches. The Seminoles fell to 12-7 and 4-2 in the ACC.

Women's Tennis Sweeps Weekend

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- The North Carolina women's tennis team won all six singles matches against Maryland in a

6-1 win Sunday afternoon to cap an undefeated weekend. The No. 8 Tar Heels

(18-3, 6-0) beat Virginia on Saturday.

UNC did not lose a set in singles or a pro set in doubles en route to downing the Cavaliers (10-6, 1-3) on Saturday.

Women's Golf 7th at Tournament

BROWNS SUMMIT -- The North Carolina women's golf team finished seventh at the Bryan National Collegiate after a strong final-round performance on Sunday at Bryan Park Champions Course.

UNC moved up from ninth with a three-day-best team score of 298, giving them a tournament total of 908. Duke won the event with a team score of 870.

UNC's Ashley Prange carded a 1-over 73 on Sunday and finished tied for 23rd with a 226 total. Senior Shelley McKevitt ended the tournament tied for 28th.

Men's Golf Grabs 14 in Augusta

AUGUSTA, Ga. -- UNC's men's golf team finished the Cleveland Golf/ASU Invitational tied for 14th place with a team score of 862. Tennessee won the event with a three-round combined team score of 841.

North Carolina's Bob Cherry was the low scorer for the Tar Heels. The junior fired an third-round 71 to close out the event with a 7-under-par 209. Dustin Bray finished eight stokes behind at 217.

Rowers Finish 5th, 6th in California

SAN DIEGO -- The North Carolina women's second varsity eight took fifth, and the varsity eight finished sixth in Sunday morning's petite finals at the San Diego Crew Classic.

With fourth-place finishes in their respective events on Saturday, both boats qualified for the petite finals, which decide places six through 12.