Public Health Breaks Ground On $38.6M Research Center

Construction on the school's Rosenau parking lot is slated to begin June 2002, and the 125,000-square-foot research center is expected to open in two years. The facility will provide 25 research laboratories, classrooms, an auditorium and office space for faculty, staff and students.

Dean Bill Roper said the new facility is needed if the school is going to grow. "We want to increase the number of research projects and significantly enhance the impact that the school has in North Carolina and beyond."

UNC-system President Molly Broad said it is important to advance public health research after Sept. 11. "We have seen a new sense of urgency to strengthen our ability to respond and mitigate terrorist attacks, as well as other disasters," she said.

In a press release issued last week, Chancellor James Moeser commended the school's officials for its long-standing tradition of excellence. "This building will be the site of discoveries that will lead to longer, safer and healthier lives for people in North Carolina and around the world," he said.

The University will build the $38.6 million research center through private and public funds. About $13 million will come from the higher education bond, $15 million from overhead contracts and grants and $10 million from private gifts.

Triangle area business leaders have also raised $4.5 million in private gifts for the facility.

Bob Greczyn, UNC alumnus and chief executive officer of BlueCross BlueShield of North Carolina, said the company invested in the new building because it is interested in improving public health. "As one of the state's largest insurance companies, we have an obligation to expand and build the public health infrastructure for the state, especially after September 11," he said.

Aundra Shields, associate dean of student affairs, said students, faculty and staff are excited about the new research center. "I think everyone is happy with it," she said. "Folks are concerned about parking spots, but they are willing to sacrifice -- the dean is giving up his private spot."