Scott Faces Assault Charge

The charge stems from an incident at about 1:30 a.m. May 2 at Players nightclub, reports state.

Scott allegedly punched a female in her face, causing minor swelling and a scratch above her upper lip, said Jane Cousins, Chapel Hill police spokeswoman. The victim, a UNC student, received treatment at the scene and then filed a statement, Cousins said.

Reports state that Scott was arrested shortly after 9 a.m. Reports also state that drugs and alcohol were involved but did not specify who might have been under the influence.

Steve Woodham, owner and manager of Players, said Scott, 20, was able to enter the 21-and-over club because it was being used for a party that allowed people 18 years old and older to enter. Wristbands were issued to people 21 years old and older to prevent underage drinking, he added.

According to a statement, UNC men's basketball coach Matt Doherty indicated Scott plans to fight the charge.

"I have spoken to Melvin, and he has told me a different version of the events," Doherty said in the statement. "We take this seriously and will look into the matter completely. We will continue to monitor the situation as it proceeds through proper legal channels."

UNC student-athletes charged with a felony are immediately suspended from their team until the case is resolved, said Steve Kirschner, UNC director of athletic communications. Misdemeanors are handled on a case-by-case basis by the player's coach and the athletic director.

Scott, a freshman from Baltimore, appeared in every game for the Tar Heels last season, averaging 6.2 points and 2.0 assists per game.

If convicted, Scott faces anywhere from probation to two years in prison.

The Sports Editor can be reached at

sports@unc.edu.